Thursday, September 28, 2023

Charity Comforter

The Sunday I picked up the 4 comforters for binding, I noticed the comforter that was in the frame for knotting was one I had pieced.

 Last Sunday I took the 4 comforters back to church and placed them in the cupboard. I noticed there was a knotted comforter ready to be bound in there. I opened it to look at it and saw it was the one that had been in the frame the Sunday before. I brought it home to bind.

Normally we just turn the backing fabric over and use that for binding but I had used some blah striped pink fabric from my mother's stash for the backing. I thought it needed prettier binding than that. 

I have a basket where I put the leftover binding from projects. I pulled them out of there, sewed them together and made a scrappy binding for this comforter. 

This comforter will end up with MCC.

The sixteen pieced blocks in this quilt were made with the RSC color of the month. I have no memory though of piecing the puss in the corner blocks! 

I think I'll sew along in the RSC next year and make 16 pieced blocks again. They're such an easy block to piece for charity quilts.

When I posted about the comforters I bound last week, someone asked how they hang together since they're not quilted? A comforter is NOT quilted, it's knotted. My church uses crochet thread to knot, some places use yarn. If you look at the comforter I wrote about today, you can see the knots. If you look at the 3rd one in the prior post, you can see the strings which have been sewn onto the comforter. Those strings will be snipped then it will be  knotted. Those strings held the layers together while I sewed the binding.

Linking to Needle & Thread Thursday, Put Your Foot Down, TGIFF!, Peacock Party, Whoop Whoop Party, Finished or Not  Friday, Off the Wall Friday, Beauty Pageant, Patchwork & Quilts, Scrap Happy Saturday

11 comments:

Kaitlyn said...

This is fantastic! Those red 16 patches really pop, and I love a scrappy binding. Congrats on the finish!

Lin said...

Lovely use of your RSC blocks. x

Created by Kathi said...

I just love that you got a quilt that you pieced and provided backing for to them and get it back to bind... how unique!!! I love this quilt and I bet the MCC charity or auction it goes to will be pleased to have it! I love that they use strings to hold it together until binding happens! Thanks for sharing the way it can be done more effectively!
Kathi

loraine everard said...

The quilt is great, good way to use those scraps! How interesting what you said about tying the quilt. I had heard the term used, but had no idea how to do it. Your explanation made it sound a lot less boring than how I thought you did it! Looking forward to what you make next, always interesting. Xx

Elizabeth V Kelbaugh said...

Wonderful scrappy love to comfort someone.

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

Such a pretty quilt that will bring much happiness and comfort to someone in need.

Sylvia@Treadlestitches said...

Pretty comforter, I'm sure it will be loved! I learned to tie quilts from my grandmother, and then did quite a few for the family before I learned to machine quilt. I often used wool yarn. The knots felt in the wash and don't come undone easily.

Chopin - A Passionate Quilter said...

Cute story about the work you did on the quilt for MCC. I like the way you set the colors in the quilt. Interesting blocks! Hugs

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

Pretty comforter, these RSC blocks are beautiful and cheerful. Love the scrappy binding too!
Thank you for sharing this pretty donation comforter, and linking up ;)

Linda Stevenson said...

Wonderful news on the quilt auction! Congratulations!
Sorry to hear about the drought conditions…. Mother Nature has certainly been finicky this year!
Linda

Preeti said...

I am sure that seeing that comforter brought a smile to your face, like meeting a long lost friend. The 16-patch blocks are beautiful. I am saving that as a probable future RSC block. Love scrappy bindings. Have a great week!