Sunday, September 24, 2023

Hearts & Wreaths, Border 2

I had more time for applique this week than I anticipated. The number of leaves that were on the first border was 62 so that is how many I need on this border. Fifty-five have been applied, the next seven should easily finish this border if I get an early start in the evening.

You can see the embroidered vine at the top where the leaves go. 

This is the 2nd long border, the next border to applique will be short side.

The pattern for Hearts & Wreaths is found in Quiltmania #138. Here is a link to my first post about Hearts & Wreaths which is dated August 29, 2021 which is a little over 2 years ago.

Once the borders are attached to the center of the quilt, I'll applique the corner leaves. These leaves don't seem to be taking that long. Maybe I can have this quilt the quilting frame by New Years?

I was busy with quilt stuff for the Relief Sale last week. Friday night I thought my legs were going to fall off, I'm not used to standing on concrete all day! 

We had a perfect autumn day for the Relief Sale. The 9 Patch Beauty quilt I donated to the sale sold for $1500 which is a respectable amount. Now I need to decide which pattern I'm going to use for next years quilt!

Northern Indiana has been extremely dry in September, we haven't received even an inch of accumulated rain. The edges of the leaves on the maple trees are turning brown and leaves are falling because it's so dry. This dryness is abnormal for us, usually we get rain in September after a dry August. 

We're hoping it doesn't start raining during harvest time in October, that's when we need it dry.

Linking to Kathys Slow Stitching Sunday, Stitching Stuff, Oh Scrap, Handmade Monday, Sew & Tell, Design Wall Monday, Craftastic Monday, Monday Musings

17 comments:

Kate said...

Those borders for Hearts and Wreaths are going to be really spectacular. Congrats on doing so well with the Relief Sale. Enjoy your stitching time this week.

linda said...

What a lot of work! it's going to look amazing when it's done. Have a great Sunday.

Angela said...

What a gorgeous border!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

your applique is looking so pretty - so many colorful leaves. Here to it is much dryer than normal, finally the other night we had an inch of of rain and last night a quarter - it had been predicated to get a total of 3 inches by end of day I wonder if that will happen - we surely do need it

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Your rainbow of appliqued leaves is so pretty, Gretchen! Glad to hear it's going along faster than you expected. Looking forward to seeing the borders alongside the heart and wreath blocks.

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

Those applique leaves are so beautiful! I was impressed with your Relief Sale. The quilts for auction were all gorgeous! It must make you feel great to have been able to contribute to the relief effort!

Karrin Hurd said...

Those appliqued leaves are beautiful. We are dry, but thankfully getting to cooler weather I hope.

Rebecca Grace said...

I wish I could zoom in for a closer look at your vine border with all of those wonderful scrappy prints, Gretchen! If you ask me, $1,500 was a bargain price for one of your masterpiece quilts.

Jenny said...

You are certainly doing very well with your appliqued borders, two down and two shorter ones to go. I hand to look up your 9 patch beauty to refresh my mind, and yes, what a beauty is is, so pleased for you that this quilt sold for such a good amount. It will bring joy to the new owners and funds for a good cause.

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

Your border is looking amazing, Gretchen; you will soon be moving on to the next. It sounds like the Relief sale was a great success. Have a very lovely week.

CathieJ said...

That border is looking great. The next two shouldn't take as long. I look forward to watching you quilt this pretty quilt. I would love to send some of our NY rain to you. We have had way too many rainy days. That is a great auction price for your quilt.

Lea Anne Brummett said...

I had forgotten what the whole quilt looked like. So pretty! A must make...put on the bucket list. I love quilts with lots of applique petals/leaves. It's been super dry down here in central IN as well. Looks like it might be an early harvest for the farmers.

Jayne Honnold said...

This is going to be so pretty, Gretchen! I do love to see applique, yet I have yet to become a true fan of doing it myself (even though I am trying to do it and love it!) - go you!

Home Sewn By Us said...

Hi Gretchen! Your vine border is gorgeous and has to be fun working on it. I'd say $1,500 is a good price for a charity quilt although we all know it should have pulled in a better price. Finally, I can't wait to see what you decide to make for next year's auction. {{Hugs}} ~smile~ Roseanne

Melva said...

You are moving right along with your leaves. And what a great sale price for the quilt you donated. :) It is always nice when people understand just how much time and effort is put into making such a piece. Thanks for joining the Sew & Tell party.

Sum of their Stories said...

This applique is beautiful.

Brenda @ Songbird Designs said...

It's a lot of work, but these borders will be fabulous!! Great job on having two almost complete!!