Thursday, September 7, 2023

Wintersweet Quilt

The 2nd of the quilts quilted by Lori is Wintersweet. Wintersweet was a free pattern from Cake Stand Quilts and you can find the tutorial information here.

This pattern is a very simple design but it's so elegant, I really like it! These pictures aren't in the correct order, they're the way blogger decided to load them.

For this quilt, I selected the snails trail quilting design. Lori made it smaller, the curves are 1/2" apart. All the background fabrics in this quilt are white on white fabrics. As you can tell, white isn't always white! There are at least 5 white/white fabrics. It was nice to use them.

Here is Wintersweet with her simple beauty! The white/white fabric doesn't really look this yellow in real life.

And the backside.

I made the binding with an assortment of the green fabrics after I finished piecing Wintersweet. In June I found this red/white stripe and used it instead. Now I'm wondering why I only bought 1 yard! I was on a shop hop with several friends and this was purchased at a store several hours from my home. The backing fabric is a white on white whole cloth fabric. Of course there was some of that fabric trimmed off after quilting so I have more white/white fabric to use in a scrappy quilt.

And a closeup back view of the quilting. I always think a swirling design looks good with a geometric design.

I made a change to the pattern and finished the chain, I thought it looked incomplete the way the instructions were written. You can read about that change in this post. My version of this quilt measures 81" by 82".

Several comments were left on my post about Peppermint Pines stating they would like to see the Christmas quilts hanging on the rafters. I will definitely show you but they won't be on the rafters until after Thanksgiving. 

In my house, Christmas comes after Thanksgiving, not before Halloween! 

Linking to NTTPut Your Foot Down, TGIFF!, Peacock Party, Finished or Not Friday, Off the Wall Friday, Beauty Pageant, Free Friday Patterns, Patchwork & Quilts

13 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I love this quilt it really looks good.
Had to laugh about the Christmas comment my way of thinking too - I really do not like seeing Christmas decorations out before the Halloween decorations. Each holiday should have it's own time to shine. I rarely get much of any Christmas decorations out before December - I actually get tired of them if they are out too long. I have some in my extended family that has Christmas decorations out with the Halloween decorations and the are still out at Valentines Day!!

Jenny said...

It's a gorgeous quilt, simple and oh so elegant! The curvy quilting lines certainly enhance the pieced blocks.

Nancy @ Grace and Peace Quilting said...

Beautiful!!! Love the quilting design you chose, too! It shows up so well with your white background.

karenbbsnow said...

Loooove it!!

Preeti said...

It is a beautiful quilt. Looks lacy and delicate! Swirls complement the geometric piecing indeed!

grammajudyb said...

Such a simple traditional quilt that looks so beautiful! Love, love the striped binding!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful quilt! Thank you for sharing the source of the free pattern ... :) Pat

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

What a beautiful quilt, I love everything in it: the pretty pattern you adapt, the lovely changing game of the background, the sweet green color, the bright and cheerful red, the lovely quilting swirls, and the candy-like binding!
Thank you for sharing this beauty ;)

Mari said...

What a sweet quilt! You're right, it's a simple beauty!

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

it is just perfect!!! The quilting is wonderful on it!!!
Great job!!!

Rose Marie said...

Sweet Xmas quilt and I'm so glad that you will be showing Xmas quilts hanging from the rafters.

Chopin - A Passionate Quilter said...

Very pretty Gretchen…. Love the quilting too! Hugs

Susan said...

Love it! Red, green and white, soft arches in the quilting (like clouds) and lots of breathing space. I find this a very peaceful quilt!