Sunday, September 3, 2023

Back to Hearts & Wreaths

One of my goals this summer was to have the borders for Hearts & Wreaths prepped and ready to start the applique  process by September 1, I made it! Here is a link to the last post about Hearts & Wreaths in December 2022. It's been in time out longer than I thought. In the picture you can see the true yellow background color of the fabric. It looks beige in some of the following border pictures but it really is a soft yellow.

In these pictures, not only does the fabric look beige, the cutting mat looks blue, not green.

The instructions said to cut the border 8.5" wide. I cut my borders a little wider. You lose some border when you finish the edges and I'll loose a little more when I applique the leaves. When I zigzag the edges, I use stitch #3 on my machine. It's a zigzag but it makes stitches in the zigs and zags so it doesn't pull the fabric in, it stays flat.

The borders have a top and bottom side. This is important when you sew the borders onto the center.


First thing you do is mark the center of the border. I left the selvage on the two long borders so they are wider than the short sides. The selvage will be trimmed off after quilting. This is marked with a normal ink pen.

I used a Frixon pen to mark the lengthwise center of the border at 4.25".


The instructions said to sew the borders onto the center then applique the leaves. No Way! I have to turn the border around to applique each leaf, I don't need that extra bulk of the center. Think how wrinkly it would get and maybe dirty too!

I will applique my borders then sew them onto the center. The corners will be mitered so I'm stopping the vine 8" from the edge of the center section. The vine will be at the top of the curve ready to swing down into the corner, make kind of half circle then curve back up to the other side. At least that's the plan.


There were several more steps involved but here is the prepped border before I start embroidering the vine. I chain stitch 3 strands of black embroidery thread, I think 3 strands makes the vine more distinctive.

 All of the markings you see are from the Frixon pen. I freehand drew those curves. Are they perfect, no but I've never claimed to be a perfectionist. 

I can't press these borders now until the applique is completed. I don't want creases or wrinkles in them so they're hanging on a hanger in the closet.

I'm looking forward to the day when I put this quilt flimsy into the hand quilting frame and start stitching. I already know which designs I'm going quilt. Look at this picture and imagine a quilted design in there. I have several stencils that will fit into an area that size, I'll probably use them all!

Here is a link to my first post about Hearts & Wreaths from August 2021

Linking to Kathys Slow Stitching Sunday, Stitching Stuff, Oh Scrap, Handmade Monday, Sew & Tell, Design Wall Monday, Craftastic Monday, Monday Musings

23 comments:

Karla (ThreadBndr) said...

I will be watching your progress on the borders of this quilt closely. I am doing a similar border on "Aunt Lottie's Garden". I'm choosing to put the borders on first, then applique. I may regret that, but it's a much smaller quilt than yours. I love how cheerful the colors are on the hearts and leaves, it always makes me smile.

Kate said...

It's going to be a really "wow" quilt when it's all finished. It's pretty wow now without the applique borders.

Julie in GA said...

I have loved following your progress on this quilt since the beginning. It's going to be absolutely gorgeous! I looked back at your original post when you started and saw the pattern--are you including those small leafy branches in the border? (I would leave them off.)

Angela said...

Such a pretty quilt!

CathieJ said...

I am looking forward to watching you progress on those border. I can't believe how long it has been since you worked on this pretty quilt.

Ray and Jeanne said...

I look forward to seeing the borders and I appreciate that you are sharing the process. This is going to be gorgeous! ~Jeanne

T Holzer said...

Amazing quilt! All the hours of love that have gone into this quilt!!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Those are such beautiful blocks! I'm looking forward to seeing how the borders come together. I can definitely understand why you would want to applique the borders first and then sew them onto the center!

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

I agree completely. It is going to be a lot easier to sew the applique border to the quilt top rather than stitch the border now and then applique the leaves! This will be another stunning finish!

Karrin Hurd said...

Hearts and Wreaths is gorgeous. I look forward to seeing the progress on your borders!

Michele McLaughlin said...

Such a beautiful quilt and love that you share your process for the borders! Wow!

Deb A said...

Thank you for sharing how you approach the boarders on this quilt. It is a beauty and is happy to be out of time out! Happy Stitching.

Jenny said...

Such a lovely quilt top, and your pretty applique borders will really finish it off so well.

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

A stunning quilt! The blocks are all beautiful, lots of colour!

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

It's going to be another wonderful quilt. Thank you for sharing your process about the border, and have fun applique the leaves!

Anorina @SameliasMum said...

It's just so very lovely

Sara said...

It's going to be fabulous!

Home Sewn By Us said...

Hi Gretchen! What wonderful tips you have shared about how you are finishing your quilt and the process you use. The vines and leaves will definitely be the frosting on the already lovely quilt. I look forward to seeing the finish and updates as you progress. Happy Labor Day to you. {{Hugs}} ~smile~ Roseanne

Raewyn said...

Such a pretty quilt Gretchen. And with the borders it will be even more so. A wise idea to keep the borders separate as long as possible.

JOY @ http://joysjotsshots.blogspot.com/ said...

I've never seen machine applique done with your number 3 stitch. Thanks for the tip. It makes a lot of sense.
I agree about attaching the border, then appliqueing. Way to much to move around. Your work is beautiful.

Sum of their Stories said...

This is coming on so nicely, it's going to be such a beauty when it's finished.

Brenda @ Songbird Designs said...

Wow! What a beautiful quilt, Gretchen. I don't blame you for changing up and doing the applique prior to attaching the borders. It's hard to wrestle a large quilt under a machine! Looking forward to seeing this one come together!

Chopin - A Passionate Quilter said...

Absolutely perfect and great tips on how you do the border! YUP do not want to add a blank border, then applique the leaves! NO fun! Anxious for you to get it in the frame for quilting after the border! Great job Gretchen. Hugs