Saturday, September 9, 2023

Scrappy Sprouts Flimsy

A big goal for me this year was to finish the scrappy sprouts blocks I pieced for several years in conjunction with the RSC. I did get the sprouts blocks sewn into columns and posted about it here.

I was pleased with that progress but was stymied as to what to use for a flower. Not all the sprouts quilts I've seen have flowers but I wanted them for mine.

Then around the same time, Preeti posted a flower to use in her Positivity 2023 Sew-Along, it was perfect for what I wanted!

Finally I've found time to make flowers. First I made this blue one. Sorry about the bad coloring.

It was cute but I don't know, do I want the flat bottom?

So I tried putting it down on top of the sprouts.

That would have worked but I decided to play around and came up with this idea.

Then I made a turquoise one which looks way darker in the picture than it actually is.

I do wish I had made the stems in the sprouts either all with the color of the month or green stems instead of both ways, oh well, too late now!

Two flowers completed, four more to go! Thank you Preeti for the lovely flower pattern!

Here is a link to the  Scrappy Sprouts pattern.

Linking to Patchwork & Quilts, Scrap Happy Saturday.


5 comments:

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

These flowers are going to beautifully finish your sprouts. I love both versions, flat and with the sepal. Great variation of Preeti's block!
Thank you for sharing ;)

Jenny said...

Your sprouts are going to look so nice topped with their flowers.

Lin said...

I do like your addition to the flower and it looks great with your sprouts. xx

Robin said...

Now the flower has more vitality. It looks great!

Susan said...

Your solution to the flat-bottomed bud was perfect! Your sprouts quilt will be great! (PS, don't feel you have to reply to all my comments! I'm such thankful I have found you! I'm now subscribing so I don't ever miss a blogpost!)