I sewed a LOT of 2.5" strips to make 9 patch blocks for crib quilts. The orange 9 patch was the first one. For the 2nd and 3rd quilts, I actually used a pattern!
I recently purchased the book Scrap School by Lissa Alexander and decided to make a smaller version of the County Fair quilt. I had already made the 9 patches using 2.5" squares.
I glanced at the directions and made sure I cut the side triangles the correct size and started sewing the blocks together. Everything went great until I tried to sew the side triangles onto the rows, they didn't FIT! So I checked the pattern again. I thought the quilt was based entirely 2.5" squares and strips, wrong!
I certainly wasn't going to take these rows apart to trim the sashing so I improvised and finished the flimsy. It measures 35.5" by 47".
Then I started the next quilt making sure I used the correct sashing size. Those triangles fit the sides perfectly. I sewed the rows together, pressed the center then sewed the corner triangles onto the quilt. Something was off on two of the corners.
After checking the pattern, I realized I had sewn a sashing piece onto the outside of those two corners. I sewed the triangles on anyway them trimmed the outer edge of the quilt. You wouldn't even know it wasn't supposed to be that way. This quilt measures 42.5" by 54".
By now I had enough of the Country Fair pattern and arranged the rest of the blocks in a 5 by 6 straight set.
I was digging around in a box and found some older fabric that needs to be used for borders.
This little quilt measures 45" by 53".
Now I have 3 more little quilts to quilt this winter. I'm done piecing 9 patches for awhile.