Sunday, August 22, 2021

Lady Jane Applique Finish

This week was about appliqueing leaves on Lady Jane. Once I started I just couldn't stop until they were all attached, the applique on the center is finished!

Sorry the background has a yellow tint, it's not like that in real life.

All the applique I completed so far had been by the back basting method. Here is a link to a YouTube tutorial on back basting. My guild had a lesson on back basting many years ago, that was how I learned.


When I applique leaves, I don't use the back basting method, I use the freezer paper method.

For the leaves on Lady Jane, I decided to use a product I purchased years ago for another project which didn't happen. I'm always concerned when a product is 'iron on', they don't seem to work well for me but this one did. I was very pleased! The fusible stuck and added the stability I need to turn under the edge of the leaves. The starch will wash out, leaving a soft interior.

When I hand quilt this quilt, I will stitch in the ditch around the leaves. This product is not hand quilting friendly if you want to stitch in the applique.

Since the center is finished, this project is going to go into time out for several weeks until I am less busy. It won't take long to sew all the parts together for this quilt, the pieced blocks are pieced, I just need to trim the center, add the border and cut the gray squares. I've also found the perfect fabric for the outside border.

The Lady Jane pattern can be found here.

Linking to Patchwork & QuiltsKathy's Slow Sunday Stitching,  Oh Scrap, Show & Tell Monday, Monday Making, Handmade Monday, Design Wall Monday, BOM's Away

25 comments:

The Crafty Creek said...

Beautiful!

The Cozy Quilter said...

Stunning! Such a pretty centre for your quilt.

CathieJ said...

I am looking forward to seeing this quilt when it is all together. Enjoy whatever stitching you decide to pick up today.

Ray and Jeanne said...

This is gorgeous! ~Jeanne

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I tried that product and use it off and on but I don't care for many of the iron in products. The applique is really pretty

Gretchen Weaver said...

It worked fine for the leaves, I wouldn't want to use it for the flowers. I won't buy anymore after it's all used.

Created by Kathi said...

Your appliqués center for lady Jane is beautiful! I wish one day we could meet and you could give me lessons on basic appliqué… I have tried and tried! Yours is beautiful and the blocks you made previously will look great framing this!!! Kathi

Jill said...

So very pretty! I love the design. Thanks for tip on applique sheets. I have some in my stash, yet have not yet used.

chrisknits said...

It's gorgeous! I am so in awe of your appliqué abilities!

Florida Farm Girl said...

I am so looking forward to seeing the completed top.

Sarah said...

Your centre panel is gorgeous! I don't know what back basting is so I will take a look at the link thanks.

Karrin Hurd said...

Lady Jane is gorgeous, great work!

Quilter Kathy said...

Beautiful! Thanks for the tip about the wash away sheets... I wondered about that.

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

Lovely center! Thanks for the video link, I don't know this method, great to learn a new one!
Thank you for sharing ;)

Jenny said...

Your beautiful blue floral block is stunning!

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

Your applique is so perfect - even the circles! Thanks for sharing with Oh Scrap!

Rebecca Grace said...

Your appliqué center is stunning, Gretchen! I am still experimenting with different applique techniques to see which ones I like best. I tried back basting once and struggled mightily, but I was following instructions in a book and did not have the opportunity to take a class with a live instructor. Sometimes that in-person feedback is what you need to figure out why something isn't working. This will be such a gorgeous quilt; I'll enjoy watching it come together for you!

Judy Hansen said...

Lovely center - and the churn dash blocks will look great around it. I love blue and white quilts, as you know. Hope you bring this to Shipshewana so I can see it in person. Good finish to a beautiful quilt center. Hugs, Judy

Arish said...

Qué bonito, me encanta. BESICOS.

Quilting Gail said...

Stunning!!! Love the blues!

Sue said...

Beautiful work Gretchen. I use that back basting method also, and I love it. I am interested to know why you dont use that method for the leaves. Sorry if you've already explained this. :)

Gretchen Weaver said...

I guess the reason I don't back baste the leaves is because there are always so many leaves. For me it's easier to cut out freezer paper and iron on the back of the fabric. I don't know if this is a good reason but it what I do.

Chookyblue...... said...

OMG im in love........it looks wonderful..........

QuiltGranma said...

You are doing such a lovely job, so striking!

Anonymous said...

Love all your quilt patterns. They have a vintage feel to them.