This week was about appliqueing leaves on Lady Jane. Once I started I just couldn't stop until they were all attached, the applique on the center is finished!
Sorry the background has a yellow tint, it's not like that in real life.
All the applique I completed so far had been by the back basting method. Here is a link to a YouTube tutorial on back basting. My guild had a lesson on back basting many years ago, that was how I learned.
When I applique leaves, I don't use the back basting method, I use the freezer paper method.
For the leaves on Lady Jane, I decided to use a product I purchased years ago for another project which didn't happen. I'm always concerned when a product is 'iron on', they don't seem to work well for me but this one did. I was very pleased! The fusible stuck and added the stability I need to turn under the edge of the leaves. The starch will wash out, leaving a soft interior.
When I hand quilt this quilt, I will stitch in the ditch around the leaves. This product is not hand quilting friendly if you want to stitch in the applique.
Since the center is finished, this project is going to go into time out for several weeks until I am less busy. It won't take long to sew all the parts together for this quilt, the pieced blocks are pieced, I just need to trim the center, add the border and cut the gray squares. I've also found the perfect fabric for the outside border.