Friday, August 20, 2021

Finally, A Finish For Friday!

Lori dropped off the Bonneyville Mill quilt last week after she finished the quilting. I selected a simple Baptist Fan design and it looks great!

This isn't a beautiful quilt like Blue Stars Around the Garden, this is a functional picnic quilt that will see hard use. The blocks in the quilt are the bags that flour comes in from the mill.


I've had this yardage in the stash for years and years and decided it would be perfect for the backing. It's flannel with primitive  animals on it. I bought it because it's really hard to find fabric with brown cows.

The farmer is going to have a fit when he sees this cow. She's definitely not an ideal  dairy cow, he doesn't understand the concept of primitive art. There are also a bunch of hogs on the fabric.

He measures 80" by 73", yes, it is wider than it is long. I used a heavy comforter weight polyester batting so it's a bit softer when we sit on the ground.

Of course we had to try him out with cookies for snack!

Here is a link to the post I wrote after she was pieced. There is a link to the Bonneyville Mill Park in that post.

Linking to Put Your Foot Down, Needle & Thread Thursday, Peacock Party, Whoop Whoop PartyTGIFF!, Finished Or Not Friday, Off the Wall Friday, Brag About Your Beauties

8 comments:

Rose said...

What a great flour sack quilt. And the backing is so fun!!

Cathy said...

Really fun and unusual and it looks like it makes the perfect picnic quilt.

Brenda @ Songbird Designs said...

What a neat quilt! I love that you made it with flour sacks. When I was a little girl, my Granny would make me a sack to pick cotton in out of a 10# flour sack!! And of course, she made me lots of dresses out of feed sacks from the cow feed! Thanks for evoking those wonderful memories and thanks for linking up with TGIFF today!

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Its perfect!!! and even that dairy cow!! haha!! Tell him its a quilters prerogative!! LOVE it!!

Jenny said...

Such a wonderful picnic quilt, looking great on its first outing with the grandkids. Isnt it great that you have preserved all those flour bags in such an interesting quilt.

Created by Kathi said...

I love that you used flour sacks to make the top and primitive cows and sows on the back … your friend did a great job with the fan quilting and your grands sure look like they find it comfy to enjoy their cookies! Have a happy weekend!!!
Kathi

Home Sewn By Us said...

Hi Gretchen! Oh, that Baptist fan quilting design looks just FAB on your Bonneyville Mill quilt finish. That is one of my favorite designs and I rarely use it - why, I ask myself. You would think it would be the opposite - that I overused it. And that COW!!!!! What a fun piece - it's like the cow is looking right at you saying, Well?! What do you want?!! Why are you bothering me?!! Thanks for all the eye candy. ~smile~ Roseanne

Bonnie said...

What a great picnic quilt. I had a hard time finding cows for a baby quilt last year. The grandma wanted serious looking cows instead of "comic" cows. Finally found a fat quarter pack which I used in a small baby quilt.