Sunday, October 3, 2021

Welsh Beauty Progress

I finally have an update on Welsh Beauty. The hand quilting has been slow because I'd rather applique in the evening but if I'm ever going to finish quilting this quilt, I need to start quilting every day.

Since I'm right handed I quilt from right to left but I'm going to show the pictures from the left side of the quilt to the right side.

This is the left side. Since the quilt is preprinted with blue marking, it's hard to differentiate between the cream thread and the blue thread. All crosshatching is quilted with cream thread, the swags, feathers and flowers are quilted with blue thread.

In between the left side and the right side, there are 8 swags that look the same. I'm not going to show you each individual swag. The swags come to a point with a flower at the point. Those flowers will be quilted in the next pass across.























And we're finishing with the right side of the quilt.



Here is a link to the first post about Welsh Beauty. In the post I wrote about about whole cloth quilts, the fabrics, threads, batting and backing. 




I was in Wakarusa last week and took pictures of the quilt garden. They don't leave the garden in place to die a natural death, they'll remove all the plants some time in October. I'll take an end of the year picture if the plants are still there the next time. The flowers in the center don't show much color.

Linking to Patchwork & QuiltsKathy's Slow Sunday Stitching,  Oh Scrap, Show & Tell Monday, Monday Making, Handmade Monday, Design Wall Monday, BOM's Away

24 comments:

Created by Kathi said...

Your Welch Beauty is looking amazing!!! I love seeing all those swags completed!
Hope you have a nice Sunday!!!
Kathi

Karla (ThreadBndr) said...

We have a Wakarusa Kansas near me. I had to check that it wasn't MY Wakarusa!

Your whole cloth quilt is looking lovely!

Gretchen Weaver said...

My Wakarusa is in Indiana. I wonder if someone traveled from Indiana to Kansas?

Ivani said...

OMG Gretchen, your quilting is amazing This will be another masterpiece.

Birthe Marie said...

Your Welsh Beauty is a real beauty. Again you show an amazing hand quilting. It’s a joy to visit your blog and inspiring to see your beautiful quilts.

Sylvia@Treadlestitches said...

I love seeing your progress on Welsh beauty, and thanks for showing us the quilt garden, it seems very pretty and peaceful.

The Cozy Quilter said...

Gorgeous quilting. How do you remove the blue marks at the end? Do they wash out with water or do you apply some heat? Wonderful texture!

Deb A said...

Beautiful quilting and I love the quilt garden photo as well.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

the quilting is wonderful - you do such a good job. I am right handed for some reason though I always work at the left side of the quilt moving to the right - no particular reason

The Joyful Quilter said...

Spectacular quilting, Gretchen!!

Angela said...

Oh, this is stunning!

Karrin Hurd said...

Gorgeous quilting, great work! Thanks for the quilt garden pictures, what a sight to behold!

Jenny said...

You have achieved such a lot already! It's looking gorgeous.

Sarah said...

It really is a beauty!

CathieJ said...

I love the side view of your quilting. As usual your quilting is just gorgeous! I like the flower photos also.

K Reeves said...

You are going to finish before I do I bet! I am working firm the center out with a hoop, and it seems terribly slow! I have about three hoops to go before I have made a full circle around the center motif, then ai think I will start working to edge. Your two color plan is gorgeous!

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

Your Welsh Beauty is looking amazing, Gretchen. You are making a lot of progress. Seeing your beautiful hand quilting always keeps me motivated, Gretchen. Thank you so much for sharing.

Chookyblue...... said...

The quilting is coming along......

Vicki in MN said...

Your hand quilting is exquisite! I just heard about those gardens, so it was fun to see your pic of it.

Meloney said...

Your stitches are so even. It's a beautiful quilt with beautiful quilting.

Rebecca Grace said...

What a beautiful design for hand quilting! Your hand quilting stitches are gorgeous. I love the idea of a living “quilt garden,” too. Thanks for sharing that with us!

QuiltGranma said...

Beautiful quilting, beautiful quilt!

Kim said...

Oh my goodness, just look at that perfect quilting! 'Tis astonishing!

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

Wow, I love your hand quilting, and your whole cloth quilt is going to be amazing! The blue thread shows well.
Thank you for sharing your beautiful progress, and linking up.