Friday, October 29, 2021

Scrappy Patchwork with Yellow

While I was sewing on other projects, I started sewing the twosies together for scrappy patchwork with yellow. I know I had originally said I was going to use the method Becky used for her Checkered! quilt but I've changed in mind. I couldn't handle the thought of cutting off the outside edges of those side blocks.


I'm piecing my quilt going row by row. This is the slow method but it suits me fine. I'll get tired of going slowly sometime and then just sit and piece the quilt just to get her done. Leader & Enders are a good idea but I can only drag out a project for so long!

I cut yellow 5" squares diagonally to make 4 triangles. The bias is on the point, straight of grain will be on the outside of the rows. I made the yellow squares larger than they need to be. I trim off the yellow fabric that extends above the square. This way I have a good edge of yellow for straight trimming when the quilt is finished and I won't need to worry about my binding covering points. I'll show a close up of what I'm talking about sometime.

I did some preliminary figuring and I needed over 1200 squares or 600 something twosies. I decided I had better see how many more twosies I need to make so I counted out piles of ten, with ten of ten in the row and had six rows. I have so many extra twosies! I'll probably make a second quilt but use a straight setting.

I had toyed with the idea of taking these blocks along to Phoenix in December and working on the rows at my daughter's apartment but I've changed my mind about that. These squares just make too much of a mess! 


21 comments:

Barbara said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Barbara said...

I love your choice of yellow as the "neutral"--so cheerful!

Elizabeth V Kelbaugh said...

Wonderful scrappy setting. Love how the squares pop against the yellow.

Nancy @ Grace and Peace Quilting said...

Looking good! I like the idea of starting out with straight of grain edges, rather than trimming it at the end and ending up with bias.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I have only started a leader and ender quilt a couple times and didn't last at it - it seems like such a slow way to get a quilt going that I always just made it the main quilt to work on after just a couple days - but I'm not sitting at the sewing machine as often as some so it might go faster for others.

chrisknits said...

I always say I am going to do a leader/ender, but then finish the project. LOL Pretty palette.

Julie in GA said...

Your scrappy squares are looking fantastic! I love the soft yellow as the light color.

Rose Marie said...

A lovely cheerful quilt!

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

That is A LOT of squares - but it will be awesome!!!

Created by Kathi said...

Oh Gretchen!!! This is fab and to have enough twosies to do a second quilt set straight sound fun too!!! I like the on point and piecing completely as you go is perfect!!!
Kathi

Robin said...

What a lovely shade of yellow you have chosen. This is going to be a really happy quilt.

grammajudyb said...

it's going to make a great quilt. Love the scrappy yellows too! Watching and waiting!

Becca Fenstermaker said...

Beautiful! I can see a very cheerful quilt emerging. Thanks for linking up to TGIFF.

Katie said...

I love the word "twosies" - ha! And this looks like a fun project. I'm nearing the end of my leaders/enders project and am already thinking about what's going to take it's place.... and I'm still not sure! I'm sort of thinking of a broken dishes block like the one featured in this youtube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFdRyVRh7L4 BUT - this looks relatively straightforward, which makes it a wonderful leaders/enders project! There are so many possibilities!!

mereth said...

I love leader-enders, but they seem to have a mind of their own sometimes. Why don't you use Becky's construction of 16 patches for most of the row and then just make smaller blocks with the triangles orientated the right way to finish the edge? I haaate long rows when setting tops together, and anything that cuts out a few of them is worth it in my book.

Sylvia@Treadlestitches said...

Oh, I just love this! How did you know I was planning a similar quilt? I think I'll make mine slowly too, I'm not a fan of strip piecing and I have a lot of squares to use up. Thanks for the inspiration!

Ivani said...

1200 2,5" squares!?!
For December you can sew only the towsies, so when you come back home there will be many of them ready to be sew into rows. I have to continue with my split nine patch blocks, but first need to find them and count how many more need to be sewn.

The Joyful Quilter said...

That's going to be such a sweet scrappy quilt, Gretchen!!

Deb said...

Love that yellow , so pale and delicate! I too, have a lot of trouble with stop and goes( my version of leaders and ), they always become my next squirrel and take over the sewing room! I am going to follow suit with Becky for next year and conquer my scraps! It will be a cut , sew it or throw it year! Just a note, I do give away and not really "throw " , all fabric has a purpose! Thank you for sharing ! Stay safe and sew on !

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

Great way to use all those bright scraps. The yellow does set them off nicely. Thanks for sharing with Oh Scrap!

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

The yellow sure makes that top happy!!! I wouldn't be excited about cutting off the edge either! You make the most interesting projects!