Tuesday, October 12, 2021

Lady Jane

I'm working on Lady Jane again. I have altered the pattern to make the quilt larger. I made this decision after I had already cut the fabric for the center applique. Fortunately I always cut the fabric for applique background fabric larger than what the pattern requires. I trimmed the applique center to 34" and added a 2" finished dark blue border. 

The pattern has a striped border and I actually bought a stripe fabric to use. When I laid the cut strips next to the applique, I didn't like how it looked so I just used the blue fabric.

I had puffed the circles with batting while appliqueing them. It did make trimming the center a little challenging.

The churn dash blocks on my quilt finish at 7.5". The pattern has 3 rows of blocks on the top and bottom of the center. I only have 2 rows each. If I had added those two rows, the quilt would be 15" longer than wide. I don't want a quilt that long.

I could have added a bottom row of pieced blocks and squares but I didn't want to make more blocks.

Instead I pieced a checkerboard border and another strip of the blue to add a total of 8". The center now measures 71" by 79".

Most of the fabrics I used for my quilt came from my stash. I didn't order the fabrics used in the original quilt. The square blocks are all gray fabrics. Some of the gray I had in my stash, I did purchase a few others to have more variety. I didn't add any dark grays, I wanted to keep it light and happy.

The next step is to add the outside borders. 

The pattern for Lady Jane can be found here.

Linking to To Do TuesdayMidweek Makers, Stitch Sew & Show Wednesday Wait Loss, Put Your Foot Down

17 comments:

Ivani said...

It is a beauty, Gretchen! All the changes you made are perfect and look like they should be there. It is a lovely blue quilt.

Created by Kathi said...

Your decisions on lady Jane quilt look spot on Gretchen! Can’t wait up see the outer border too!!!
I made a bed runner into a flimsy yesterday and hope to pin it for quilting this morning:)
Kathi

Linda said...

Pretty blues! The checkerboard border is perfect. Love the scrappy churn dashes and your additions. And the center applique is just beautiful. Love your quilt!
Thanks for linking to To Do Tuesday!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I love the checkerboard border you are adding - I like the way it looks

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

That is so pretty, Gretchen! I love the mix of applique and piecing, and the variety of blues and grays you used, too. Your ideas for those final borders seem perfect for this quilt!

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

WOW!!! Lady Jane is just beautiful!!! LOVE the blues in it!!!

Sherrie said...

Hi,
Your quilt is awesome...love the center block,
and all those different colors of gray. Have
a great day!

Raewyn said...

Gretchen, I love your version of Lady Jayne - I love those blues and the soft greys really work. I like the idea of putting the batting in the applique circles.

grammajudyb said...

It turned out really really pretty! I like how you altered it to make it just perfect for you!

Julierose said...

What a lovely finish--I especially like the gray squares for the churn dash blocks...so soft and comforting looking..nice work hugs Julierose

Judy Hansen said...

Lady Jayne is so pretty, and you know I love blue and white quilts. The greys are a good background to use on it. Your leaves in your last post are so beautiful too. I am thinking about making a quilt with leaves, and your quilt made me want to do it even more. I must concentrate on finishing these UFOs though. Hugs, Judy

Cheree @ The Morning Latte said...

Just beautiful!

Pamela Arbour said...

You always do such beautiful work! Thanks for sharing the details.

Scrapatches said...

This is so beautiful! I love what you have done with this pattern. Thank you for sharing in my linky party ... :) Pat

Allison said...

Your quilt top is looking beautiful. I think your fabric and patchwork choices give the top a calmer look than the one on the pattern.

QuiltGranma said...

Beautiful! Love your interpretation.

Jennifer Fulton Inquiring Quilter said...

Love how you modified the pattern to suit your needs! The result is a quit that's both beautiful and unique. Thanks for sharing on Wednesday Wait Loss.