Friday, December 15, 2023

The Comforter Bash

I took time off from my sewing the Friday morning of the Jane Stickle retreat to attend the Comforter Bash. A total of 412 comforters were completed in two days with 457 people participating. That number does not include all the people who pieced the comforter tops.

I took several pictures to show you different ways to help.

These participants were knotting the comforters. Other people put the comforters into the frames.

These ladies were trimmers. After the comforters are knotted, the batting is trimmed to the edge of top then the backing fabric is trimmed to 1.5".

This is what I did, sewed bindings.


This is a picture of the entryway to the all purpose room. See the black bonnets? I assume the Amish ladies have their name on the inside of the bonnet so they know which one is theirs.

Making comforter tops for MCC was one of the agencies listed in Sarah's Hands 2 Help Comfort Quilt Challenge 2023. Perhaps the comforter top you donated was knotted at this bash!

Linking to Put Your Foot Down, TGIFF!, Peacock Party, Whoop Whoop Party, Finished or Not  FridayBeauty Pageant, Patchwork & Quilts


11 comments:

Connie Kauffman said...

So impressive!

Suzanne said...

I love the pictures of all the women working together, but really love the picture of the closet! All those bonnets! And the handbags lined up on the shelf- such a display of trust! Where do we see that anymore? Suzanne

Nancy @ Grace and Peace Quilting said...

What an event!!! In just 2 days! Sounds like fun!!! Love your photos, too, Gretchen!

Kathi Clower said...

Hey Gretchen! I love this post and the kinda ship between all present… you had a singular goal and you attained it !!! Yay!!! Love that closet shot you got! I love seeing so many frames in process of knotting these comforters!
How are these comforters different from quilts? They have 3 layers right??? Or are there just 2 ???
I love the process!
Glad I got this post:). Sometimes I get them and I’m glad for this one!
Kathi

Ray and Jeanne said...

I loved seeing all the people working together. It looks well organized and everyone being productive. Very inspiring!

Michele McLaughlin said...

This is such a cool post and a real documentation of the hard work that is done. Kudos to all!

Jenny said...

Such a lot of busy, busy ladies all working hard on a good cause. It must have been great to be part of the team.

Linda said...

Wow that is inspiring! And I love the photo of the closet with the bonnets. :)

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

That is a huge group working! super cool - so imagine all the tops were made before the event?
Thanks for sharing!

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

How fun to work all together, it looks like it was a very productive day! It's like a beehive ;)
Thank you for sharing!

Raewyn said...

This was an amazing event - such a lot of people working on the quilts - I can't imagine that many people getting together to work on the quilts!