Friday, December 29, 2023

Midnight Blues, the Last Finish of '23

Lori Null finished quilting Midnight Blues in October and returned her to me the first part of November. It took me awhile to bind her which I did by machine. She's the last finish of this year. 

Originally I intended to hand quilt Midnight Blues which is one reason she hung so long in the 'to be quilted' closet. I just couldn't get enthused about the handwork so I finally sent her to Lori for quilting.

The quilting design is Raindrops on Water by the 3 Sisters. The light blue thread quilting thread was perfect! Lori is really good at what she does.

There is a large variety of blues in this quilt, most of them darker blues. There are a few dark medium blues and colbalt blue. No light blues at all. This is why I name it Midnight  Blues, it's also easier to say than shoofly & snowballs.

My last post about Midnight Blues was in May 2020. She has been waiting more than three years to be quilted.

Of course the backing fabric is blue whole cloth. After washing, Midnight Blues measures 86" by 90" which is smaller than I thought he would be. 

My first post about Midnight blues is here and dated July 2019. Here is another link to posts about Midnight Blues if you want to read about the process. I was inspired to make this quilt after reading Jayne's post in December 2017 but my blocks finish at 4.5" instead of 6.5".

The Christmas quilts are coming down from the rafters this week. The next quilts in the rafter display will be blue & white quilts. I'll show you those next week and the ladder we use! Fortunately heights don't bother the farmer like they do me.

Linking to Put Your Foot Down, TGIFF!,  Finished or Not  Friday,  Beauty Pageant, Patchwork & Quilts, Magic Craft

13 comments:

Donna said...

Beautiful quilt! A blue and white quilt is on my bucket list. Looking forward to seeing your blue and white quilts hanging from the rafters!

Nancy @ Grace and Peace Quilting said...

Stunning finish, Gretchen! Looking forward to the blue & white rafters quilt show!

Vivian said...

Really beautiful finish! I can so relate to a long finish as I had one like that too. After I made some quilts for Blue and white Christmas decorating a few years ago, I've come to enjoy having them out in this part of the winter so I look forward to seeing your display!

Jenny said...

The rafters are ideal to display your quilts. I'll be looking forward to the next selection hung from high!

Ray and Jeanne said...

Another gorgeous quilt! I'm glad you said there was a variety of blues in the quilt - I zoomed it to see the beauty. The spiral quilting looks nice. ~Jeanne

Andree G. Faubert said...

Hi Gretchen, what a gorgeous quilt. It looks so wonderful on the bed. It's a great finish for the year. Happy New Year!

Michele McLaughlin said...

I love LOVE this quilt! It's gorgeous! Thanks for sharing the other links about the quilt! Sending you hugs and Happy New Year!

Linda said...

Wow that is stunning! Midnight Blues is the perfect name for it. Love the quilting too. Happy new year!

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Oh wow!!! and what a stunning last finish of 2023 that is!!! its amazing!!!

Rose Marie said...

My favourite colours …. beautiful quilt!

Preeti said...

Two simple blocks and two colors - I am amazed at the joy and beauty you have created with so little. True artistry!!!

T Holzer said...

Oh this is a beautiful quilt!! Love it and great job!!

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

Wow, what a gorgeous quilt! I love the various shades of dark blue, and the quilting is fabulous.
Thank you for sharing this beautiful quilt!