Tuesday, December 12, 2023

Comforter Tops

I didn't twiddle my thumbs during my unintended October/November blogging break, I focused on finishing projects. 

In August I blogged about the Christmas Stars quilt I was working on and posted this picture.


The post was about Christmas Stars but the pieced triangle in the upper left corner was a long time unfinished quilt (UFQ). That corner guilted me when we lived in the farmhouse and continued to do so in the new house!

After I finished scrappy sprouts, I decided it was time to finish that UFQ and I did!

I had originally planned on a full size quilt but changed my mind and made it into a 60" by 83" comforter top.


I cut squares then recut them on the diagonal so the straight of grain was on the outside long side. I sewed the triangles onto the end of each row. I don't like the idea of adding squares then cutting them off, that means you have bias on the outside edge!


For fun I took a picture of the backside of the quilt.


There were quite a few blocks left so instead of packing them away for someday, I went ahead and pieced another comforter top. There weren't enough blocks to make a 60" by 80" quilt, I settled for piecing the center length at least 80" and used blocks not used in the center for a checkerboard border.


Last June a friend of a friend shipped me a box of fabrics she no longer wanted. She specified that the fabrics be used for charity quilts. The floral fabric used in the borders was from this box. Earlier I had used a larger amount of the same fabric as backing for a comforter, this time it was used in the front of the comforter. The bright colors really bring this comforter to life.

After adding the fabric borders, this comforter measures 60" by 84".


These comforters will be knotted at my church then passed along to MCC to be distributed in one of the many disaster zones in the world or here in the US.


11 comments:

Ray and Jeanne said...

Pretty quilt. I love that you made sure to have a straight of grain on the outside edges. It really makes a big difference! ~Jeanne

Maggie said...

Dear Gretchen,
So many beautiful finished projects and an inspiration for us who need it. Thank you for sharing your passion with us.

Linda said...

What a gorgeous quilt you made, and now no more guilt, right? :D

Kate said...

Both quilts turned out beautifully! Even better you've gotten the UFO guilt under control until you find that next unfinished project.

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

You were a busy bee, Gretchen and what beautiful projects that you worked on. Beautiful job. Wishing you a wonderful day. Hugs.

Jenny said...

Two lovely quilt tops!

Jennifer Fulton Inquiring Quilter said...

How lovely to have finished those two tops! They are simply beautiful! How lucky someone will be to receive them. I'm really liking the one you bordered on the side. Such a wonderful solution for increasing the size.

Thanks for sharing on my weekly show and tell, Wednesday Wait Loss.
https://www.inquiringquilter.com/questions/2023/12/13/wednesday-wait-loss-358

Nann said...

Gretchen, the squares twinkle like Christmas lights! So pretty. And the stars -- what a great seasonal stashbuster to use up a lot of reds and greens.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

It's such a great feeling to finish up a longtime UFQ! Those are beautiful, and sounds like they will be very appreciated, too.

QuiltGranma said...

We moved into our tin house on wheels 12 years ago. I had not finished a quilt since moving in, we are retired. This year we sold a tractor, so no more charges for purchasing and now this year I have finished 5 UFO tops and gotten them quilted by the long arm industry. I've tested 3 shops for this and hope I've found my favorite one for long term future. I too understand the wonderful feeling of getting OLD UFOs done! Next year they will find their future homes. It is so good to get these old UFOs to quit nagging at our minds and get them out of here! I cheer you ON!

Raewyn said...

Two lovely quilts Gretchen. I like how you finished the second one, to make the best use of your units - without having to sew a whole lot more!