Sunday, December 31, 2023

Quilts in the Rafters

Yesterday the farmer and I switched the quilts in the rafters. He did the height work while I stood safely on the floor and told him what to do.

Welsh Beauty is in the dining area. The design of the quilt was hand quilted with blue Sulky #12 weight thread. It didn't show very well on the side toward the south window but I noticed it showed better on the north side. That's the side in this picture.

Welsh Beauty isn't a very showy quilt but it took me so long to hand quilt this quilt, I had to put it on display!

The west side rafter in the living room has blue churn dash. This quilt was also hand quilted and is a reproduction of a quilt made by the farmer's great grandmother.

The east side rafter is displaying Midnight Blues, the last finish of 2023.

In this picture you can see Lady Jane in the background of the dining room.


Here are a few more pictures.

I didn't get those quilts off the back of the couch. They're put away now.

I'm hoping to piece a blue & white wallhanging for the east wall this year. Yes, it's green outside, we didn't have a white Christmas but some of my Christmas cactus are blooming.

I can never make pictures go next to each other, oh well.








I told you I would show you pictures of the ladder we use to hang the quilts. Here they are. And yes, that is a duster he's holding. I figure as long as he's up there, he might as well dust those rafters!




Yes, those rafters are up there. This ladder was left by the former owner so I could wash those high windows! I don't think so.

Linking to Kathys Slow Stitching Sunday, Stitching Stuff, Oh Scrap, Sew & Tell,  Handmade Monday, Design Wall Monday, Craftastic Monday

I have one more picture to show you. Peppermint Pines is now hanging on the hanger into the guest room. It's not the Christmas season but I'm displaying it anyway!



26 comments:

Margaret said...

Your quilts are always so beautiful, and they make your house glow. It’s all so lovely! I’ve often wondered how you select fabrics for your quilts - the fabrics work so well with the patterns you have chosen. They don’t compete or try to overtake the quilt pattern. Do you have any words of wisdom on how to select fabrics? Wishing you a peaceful and healthful New Year! Margaret. mammichatcomcastdotnet

CathieJ said...

What a wonderful way to display your quilts. My husband would never be able to get on that high a ladder...me either.

Sarah said...

Gorgeous quilts and I love how you display them! Happy new year!

Donna said...

Love your quilts! I have hand quilted Welsh Beauty too. I only hand quilt whole cloth quilts now because I don’t like quilting around the seams. Your Christmas cactus is gorgeous! My mom always had several but sadly I can’t grow a weed! Happy New Year!

Michele McLaughlin said...

Oh I just love how you display your quilts! They look fabulous!

Linda said...

I want a house where I can display my quilts! I love seeing yours on display, and I totally agree with your decision to display Peppermint Pines, so pretty. Love the blues in your hanging quilts.
It's still a little green on our lawns here, but Hubs says that those are weeds - lol! Wishing you and your family a happy 2024!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

you have a very nice room there with high ceilings and rafters to display quilts.

Rose Marie said...

How delightful! I've so enjoyed seeing all of your quilts hanging over the rafters. Your collections are lovely!

Created by Kathi said...

I love your display of quilts across that main room of your beautiful home and that awesome and safe looking tall ladder for "washing windows" is much nicer for dusting and hanging quilts to showcase!
I do love the blue quilts you are displaying and my fave remains the wholecloth you put so much love into... I would want it drawn down to be on my bed when I came to visit and enjoy that beautiful Christmas tree quilt on the back of the door!
Have a marvelous end of 2023... with high hopes to wake up happy and healthy in 2024 :)
Kathi

Jill said...

A perfect room for displaying quilts. The view outside is lovely!

Karrin Hurd said...

Gorgeous quilts, and what a great room to display them in. Happy New Year, and Happy Stitching!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Such an amazing space for displaying your quilts! Blue and white is perfect for this next season of the year. Happy New Year, Gretchen!

Robin said...

Such lovely quilts. I'm glad you have all that display space so they can all be shown together.

Jenny said...

Thank you for showing the effort made to hang those quilts on high. That's a very tall ladder indeed, just what is needed to accomplish this job.

thatfabricfeeling.wordpress.com said...

Those quilts look gorgeous. I believe I would be afraid to hang them of fear of fading. I truly admire your gorgeous display and tall ceilings. Those beams are meant for showcasing quilts. well done.

Anonymous said...

Your home is lovely and the quilts are a wonderful addition. I can't imagine climbing that ladder, however! Terrifying!

Ceci

Lin said...

What a perfect place to hang your quilts! Just lovely. I don't think I would be going up those steps either! xx

Karen S said...

This is such a wonderful way to display your quilts. And it is lovely to have someone who is happy to helps change over the displays! Very special.
I like all the blue combinations in these quilts. Looking forward to seeing more.

Nann said...

What a beautiful "gallery" to display your quilts -- airy, elegant. Glad I don't have to climb up the ladder!

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

Thank you for giving us a view of your quilt gallery! Wow! Impressive, beautiful and elegant. Farmers are always resourceful and generally willing to take on a secondary task when they are "in the area." I grew up with a farmer. . .every day we encountered something new even when we thought it wasn't possible!

Kate said...

You have some beautiful quilts on display. Enjoy the view!

Jennifer said...

What a neat way to display your quilts - they are beautiful and I love all the light in your room.

Angie said...

Gretchen - the only thing more stunning than your quilts is the "art gallery" where you get to hang them! Spectacular in every way! I think my favorite is Lady Jane, although it sure is tough to choose! I am joining you from Slow Sunday Stitching, my first time linking up - I am number 22 if you want to stop by. Happy New Year!

Quilter Kathy said...

What a gorgeous quilt display - the perfect home for a quilter! Happy New Year!

T Holzer said...

Gorgeous post and thanks for sharing! What a great house for a quilter!!

Vivian said...

So glad I happened on another of your link ups! I looked back for this post agree with your (later) decision to move the "Welsh Beauty" to the guest bed room -- by gracing a smaller space or on a bed it will have a greater "presence". For me, I'm just glad to find out you made this one as I am trying to reboot my start on the same quilt for this year. I've bookmarked the links of your progress making it and will be reading them for encouragement before I sit to stitch each week so thanks!