Sunday, December 3, 2023

New Hexie Project

There are so many beautiful quilts at retreat and interesting projects in progress. I usually come home from retreat ready to start a lot of new projects. This year I only started one new project.

Hanne and Deb were both working on a hexie project. Hanne marked a 1/4" line on her hexies and was sewing them by hand. Deb was EPPing her hexies. I didn't measure them but I'd say they were 1.5" hexies. I didn't take a picture of their projects but they both looked nice.

I've been wanting a portable hand work project as an easy take along. I thought this would be perfect. I'm planning on hand stitching my hexies, not EPP this time.

When I got home, I pulled some of the Tula Pink fabrics I bought at Clothesline Creations last summer during my birthday outing and started cutting. I may have purchased more fabrics during retreat also.

I have a Fons & Porter hexie ruler I purchased years ago but never used. It says right on the ruler how wide to cut the strips for each size of hexie. I'm using 2" hexies so my strips were cut 4.5" wide.

Hanne had sewn her hexies into small columns using 9 hexies. Deb EPP'd her's into hexie flowers. I arranged pieces to sew 2 flowers to take along to Maryland to stitch. I took pictures of each group so I would remember how I to arrange them.

There was also some striped fabric that came in the fat quarter bundles. I didn't think plain stripes would look very interesting so I cut a 6.5" hexie (which is the largest size of the ruler) and marked lines on the back to make 6 triangles. Then I cut on those lines then rearranged the triangles.

Once the triangles are sewn, I'll trim the block to size. I think these will be an interesting addition to the quilt, at least if they turn out like I hope they do.

Linking to Kathys Slow Stitching Sunday, Stitching Stuff, Oh Scrap, Handmade Monday, Sew & Tell, Design Wall Monday, Craftastic Monday, Monday Musings


22 comments:

Kate said...

Hexie projects can be addictive, but they do make great travel projects. Looking forward to seeing yours come together.

Kathi Clower said...

This is a mesmerizing project Gretchen! Can’t waiting to see your setting… awesome! Kathi

Linda said...

Love the way you cut the striped fabric! That will make a really fun hexie.

Rose Marie said...

Great idea for cutting up the striped fabric! Great new project.

Nanette Chopin Cook said...

Heroes are fun! Hugs

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

Hanne came all the way from Norway for the retreat? that must have been nice for her to meet everyone - I have done hexies both ways hand stitching and EPP

Deb A said...

What a fun take along project that will be.

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

I had to be so careful reading this post, Gretchen,because of course, I love this new project and very badly want to be sewing hexagons again. Perfect take along project too.

Sylvia@Treadlestitches said...

Pretty fabrics in your new project! I've done EPP, but prefer to just hand piece instead. It's easy to eyeball the seam allowance after you've sewn a few thousand seams lol.

Karrin Hurd said...

Great hexies and fabrics for your new project.

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

That striped hexagon to be is my favorite already! What a fun project to begin!

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

Your hexies are looking fabulous, Gretchen. I like the hexie ruler that you have . I do need to pull my hexie project out. Enjoy your day and happy stitching.

CathieJ said...

Love those hexies. Your striped one is similar to Kaleidescope quilts.

Jenny said...

Wow, I'm so impressed, you know how to make a pieced striped hexagon! Very clever indeed.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Cool Hexies - that strip one is super cool all rearranged!!

Lin said...

I always love a hexie! Your pieced one makes good use of those stripes. xx

Maggie said...

Dear Gretchen,

Love, the hexies! They are so addictive, once we start it is just one more. Then only one more… Looking forward to seeing what you are making with these hexies. Have a wonderful week.

Sara said...

I have a similar ruler, and use it fairly often. Your choice of Tula fabrics will make these hexies so cute and colorful. Love that pieced one from the stripe too.

Marsha's Spot said...

I keep trying to look at that ruler and figure out how it works,

Sum of their Stories said...

Ooo , love what you've done with the stripes. Definitely an interesting addition. Thank you for sharing with us at Handmade Monday :-)

Brenda @ Songbird Designs said...

These all look great, Gretchen!! Really like what you did with the stripes!

Raewyn said...

An exciting new project. I love your play with the stripes!