Friday, December 8, 2023

Christmas Stars

Lori brought 2 quilts that she had quilted for me when she came to our mini retreat. The Christmas Stars quilt came along to retreat with me. 

I sewed the binding Saturday evening and she was a finish by 10 pm! Both sides were machine stitched. When I machine stitch binding, I sew the binding onto the backside then turn to the front for top stitching. Not all quilters do it that way but that is what works for me. When I hand bind, I stitch the binding onto the front then turn to the back for hand stitching. I only hand bind special quilts, quilts that I hand quilt. Machine stitching is so much faster!

The design Lori used was a perfect, it's a holly design with circles, so cute. And the red thread looks so nice!

I thought I had posted when Christmas Stars was in the flimsy stage but I can't find one. The last post I find is when the blocks were arranged on the display floor in August. Those blocks were on the floor for two weeks and I checked them several times looking for mis-sewn blocks.


When I displayed the finished quilt at retreat, someone noticed a block that was incorrect. They asked me if I did that on purpose. No, I did NOT!

That's a bunch of nonsense about Amish women purposely adding a mistake to their quilts. They're just like me, they don't purposely make mistakes, they just happen!

For backing fabric I used the red/beige fabric I had considered adding as a border. You all quickly dispelled that idea, this fabric was perfect for backing. The backing needed to be pieced and I added other Christmas fabric. Years ago I had participated in a Christmas block exchange. These blocks were never used so I added them here.

Here is a closeup of the quilting on white fabric, isn't this design fantastic?!

For now Christmas Stars measures 83" by 89". She'll shrink whenever she gets washed. 

I haven't decided if she's going to hang in the rafters or if she'll be displayed on a bed during the Christmas season.

Linking to Needle & Thread ThursdayTGIFF!, Peacock Party, Whoop Whoop Party, Finished or Not  Friday, Patchwork & Quilts


14 comments:

Linda said...

It's glorious! I love the pattern and the fabrics. The quilting just sets it off so beautifully. I do my machine binding and my hand binding exactly as you do. I stopped hand binding when I started washing my quilts and my binding came apart - eeeek! So obviously I was doing something wrong with my hand stitching.
Nice finish! Hope to see it after you decide where to hang it. :)

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I tried machine stitching the binding once and it looked horrible - I'm just not neat enough at it. I like the process of hand stitching the binding but I know many are now machine stitching it and glad it works for some people. I agree I never thought the Amish planned a mistake that is silly

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Christmas Stars is beautiful, Gretchen! I love the scrappy look of the different reds, greens, and neutrals you used. Amazing how we can look at a block a million times, and not see the mistake until it's too late! Hopefully this will just give you a laugh whenever you see it from now on.

Jenny said...

Such a beautiful Christmas quilt.

Ray and Jeanne said...

This is a beautiful quilt. I'm always surprised when I hear that saying about intentional errors. I doubt any of us are perfect enough to not make mistakes once in a while. My mom used to say mistakes and dust were okay because if someone was looking for one/some, you'd hate to disappoint them. ~Jeanne

Lin said...

Thats a lovely finish Gretchen. xx

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

I agree with Jeanne about what her mom used to say ;D Your quilt is gorgeous, I love the red thread too, and the quilted swirls. Great use of the Christmas blocks on the backing!
Thank you for sharing your beautiful finish, and linking up!

Floor said...

Beautiful quilt with stars!
I don't see any error block at all.
I always sew the binding on by hand, just like I make my entire quilt by hand.
Fast isn't necessary for me, because I already have so many.
I like it nice and slow.
You can lie under the stars at Christmas. :-)
Greetings,
Floor

Gail said...

Love your Christmas Stars! It was so nice to meet you in person, I think from now on I will ear dessert first!

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Love it!! and you are right - the quilting is perfect for it!!!
I do binding the same way -and sometimes use a decorative stitch on the top ;-)
Merry CHristmas!!!

chrisknits said...

What a beautiful Christmas quilt! I need to put one on my to-do list for next year. I think about too close to Christmas to accomplish it. LOL!

Nanette Chopin Cook said...

Absolutely beautiful Gretchen. I did my first machine binding on my last quilt that turned out beautiful . I do what you do. I cut a 2 1/4” strip and Sew a good 1/4” seam. The secret is using the same color of thread. I am sure I killed my thumb with the 20 quilts I hand bound earlier this year!!! Hugs

Sharon Kwilter said...

That's a beautiful quilt. Congratulations!

Chookyblue...... said...

It's a beautiful quilt ........