Friday, August 25, 2023

Christmas Stars

I finally got all the star blocks pieced and arranged last week on the display floor. 

I'll wait a week before sewing into rows to make sure I don't have the same fabrics next to each other. There are some fabrics that are similar in tone but if you look closely, you can see the difference.

I'm tentatively thinking of adding a border. I don't have a large piece of Christmas fabric or red or green fabric to use. What do you think of this light beige/red fabric? This fabric has been in my stash for at least 25 years! It's time for this fabric to be used.

After I took this photo of the blocks, I saw that there were 2 same fabrics next to each other. Of course I moved that block but then that entails moving at least 10 more blocks!

Just now, I noticed there is a block with a HST sewn incorrectly! That is probably one of the blocks that was moved, I need to find it and correct it.

That is why you should wait a week to sew the blocks together, this quilt might be a 2 week wait!

The Christmas Star instructions can be found here on Jo's Country Junction.

Linking to Needle & Thread ThursdayPut Your Foot Down, TGIFF!, Peacock Party, Whoop Whoop Party, Finished or Not  Friday, Off the Wall Friday, Patchwork & Quilts

16 comments:

Preeti said...

Christmas is worth the wait :-) Such a festive quilt, it puts me in the mood to sing Christmas carols, but it is still early in the morning and I do not wish to wake up Paul :-D

Anonymous said...

This is a beautiful quilt, but the fabric you have for the border would best be used for the backing. It comes across as muddy-not the pure colors on the rest of the top. The quilt doesn’t really need a border, but if you want it bigger, another fabric would be a better choice. I love your work and I take time to look and move blocks too!

Carole @ From My Carolina Home said...

Lovely, so festive! I think the border is too busy for it, though. If it was me, I would put only a thin border (same width as your small green squares) in an ecru. One of your background fabrics would work well if you have enough of one.

Ramona said...

Your Christmas stars are beautiful! The colors are so rich and vibrant. I agree with the previous comments... I'd use the red and white fabric for the backing. My eye goes directly to that and not to your beautiful stars.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Holee cow that is grown!! It looks amazing so far - now you are making me want Christmas to be here!!!

Jenny said...

Christmas Stars is looking wonderful.

loulee said...

That looks amazing. Have fun putting it all together.

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

Wow , Gretchen, Christmas Stars is looking great. So many pretty fabrics. I am looking forward to seeing it pieced and seeing what you decide on the borders.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful quilt but I hope you find something else for the border....maybe a very thin strip? This one seems a bit dreary with all the vibrant stars.

Ceci

Claire said...

Looks good so far. I too spend a lot of time on mental quilting, looking and rearranging. And fixing one usually messes up another, but that part of the process is half the fun.

Lin said...

Those stars do look stunning. Funny how you can miss that 'obvious' mistake the first two or three times around. Not keen on the fabric for the border - needs to be re or green for me. xx

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

Wow, you were super fast to make all the blocks, they have a lot of pieces! Great job at mixing them, even if moving one has a butterfly effect ;)
Thank you for sharing these fabulous blocks, and linking up today!

Ray and Jeanne said...

I'm going to love this quilt! So glad you found the block with the square turned now instead of later. ~Jeanne

Nancy said...

I love red and green together so, of course, I love this quilt. It is beautiful! Your greens are just perfect!
The border fabric option does not read as red to my eyes and I think it distracts from the beauty of the red and green stars. Just my opinion: the stars are better without a border than with that fabric.
That's a great suggestion to let quilt blocks rest in place for a while for review and consideration.

K Reeves said...

That is a pretty Christmas quilt Gretchen! Such lovely piecing!

QuiltGranma said...

The fabric with small print that you want to use up would be better as backing. It would make the appearance of the quilt muddy if used as a border.