Wednesday, August 9, 2023

Five Aprons!

A month or so ago, one of my older granddaughters requested that I make her an apron. Well, you know how that goes, I can't make one apron, what about her sisters?

So last week I made 5 aprons!  I used a pattern I had on hand called Crossback Reversable Aprons from Indygo Junction designed by Amy Barickman. I'm fussy about my aprons, I don't like ties, I don't like tight aprons and I really dislike ruffles. I am so not a ruffle person!

I don't remember where I purchased this pattern, I asked at Calico Point and they said it didn't come from there. I know I bought it at a store and not online. 

There are multiple sizes in this pattern. The child's pattern is printed on it's own tissue paper. The adult sizes were a different tissue paper with 3 sizes. Kathi suggested that I use parchment paper to trace off for different sizes which I did. Thanks Kathi, that was a brilliant idea!

I ended making making 5 aprons, 4 for the granddaughters and 1 for their mother. Here they are!

Two of the girls are blue lovers, be still my heart! One of these granddaughters will be receiving Lady Jane someday. Don't worry, I have plenty of blue quilts around here to make them both happy.

The fabrics for these aprons came from JoAnn Fabrics and all of them were on sale, gotta love a sale!

The purple apron is for our DIL, the blue one is for the youngest granddaughter.

Here is the back view. They don't look full enough hanging on hangers but they do, I've tried them all on except the little blue one.

After sewing the first several aprons, I made a pocket alteration, I curved the bottom corners. If you look at the blue apron above, you can see the corners are pointed while her mother's pockets are curved. Curved pockets are easier to sew than pointy pockets.

Another change I made was to sew the pockets on the apron lower than the pattern called for. Lower pockets felt more natural to me.

This blue apron is for our oldest granddaughter, her sister likes teal but I couldn't find teal fabric that I really liked. Hopefully she'll be happy with these green fabrics. Blogger decided I wanted to show the back sides of these aprons first.

And here is the front view.

This last apron is for the granddaughter who originally requested the apron. She's a purple girl like her mother. Again Blogger decided you wanted to see the back side first.

Supposedly these aprons are supposed to be reversible. I hand sewed the top seam by hand, I didn't do the best job. These aprons are definitely not reversible.

All of the aprons were top stitched with a contrasting thread, I even stitched a pretty design!

I could use a new apron also but after making 5 of them, I was aproned out and wanted to get back to piecing quilts again. Maybe sometime this winter I'll make myself one. I plan to mail these aprons this week.

Linking to Midweek Makers, Wednesday Wait LossNeedle & Thread Thursday, Put Your Foot Down, Patchwork & Quilts

11 comments:

Podunk Pretties said...

Those are cute! I was looking at apron patterns last week. I'm such a messy cook.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

looks like a good pattern, - ties get in the way it seems and a pocket is good to drop your phone in. I did a search and amazon says it has a large stock of that brand of aprons I checked and they had aprons but I didn't see that pattern

Jennifer Fulton Inquiring Quilter said...

Such a lovely idea! Great apron pattern. I love how it has no ties! Thanks for sharing on my weekly show and tell, Wednesday Wait Loss.

https://www.inquiringquilter.com/questions/2023/08/09/wednesday-wait-loss-340

Jenny said...

Didn't you do well! A great assortment of aprons for the family.

Michele McLaughlin said...

These are wonderful! I know the kids are going to love having an apron like mom! Great idea!

Preeti said...

I am laughing as I type this. It is impossible to make just one, as if they were potato chips :-D Five aprons should translate into a lot of cooking, baking and preserving. Get ready for a huge feast!
I remember the time when I had to make a pillowcase. I ended up making four. Happy sewing!!!

Created by Kathi said...

I didn't even get a notice of THIS blog post... only the one you posted on the 11th! So silly the blogger platform and email preferences for receiving posts to my email are!
I love all the aprons but I see why you put yours out til later... they are a bit time intensive but oh so awesome... I am excited to hear their reaction to "their" each apron too! Do you have a fave of the 5?
I like rounded pockets too and I love the concave edge of the pocket top edge too! Cool idea!
Kathi

Chopin - A Passionate Quilter said...

I love those aprons! I wish I could have had a Grandmother like you or a Susie Home Mother! I could have had homemade quilts and aprons!!!! Love them all! Hugs

Carol in Texas said...

I choose the green one! I’m not a blue or purple person but I love green!!!! These are precious. I well remember Indygo Junction from the 80s and 90s I believe. They may still be in business…..haven’t sewn clothing in many ears. But I love aprons and I may look for this pattern because it looks like a comfortable apron to wear. Your family members are truly blessed!

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

Oooh, you did a beautiful job sewing these aprons, they look fantastic! I love the blue ones too ;) Great curvy pockets, and I like the crossing on the back.
The girls (and the Mom) are going to be very happy!

Joy from Days Filled With Joy said...

ooh I love aprons and I really like that pattern! I'll have to do a hunt for it.. well done for making that many! xx