Friday, August 18, 2023

More Summer Garden Blocks

You guys all knew that I wouldn't be content running the Summer Garden blocks through the machine as leaders & enders while piecing Christmas Star blocks!

I finished 2 small quilts! My intention had been to make one larger quilt but the blocks didn't work. I needed more than two color ways. Each little quilt measures 38" by 46". I did need to piece four more blocks to make the small quilts. 
This quilt holder has a better attitude than his grandfather did about holding quilts, especially since he got to stand at the top of the slide! He took his responsibility very seriously.

Notice that even though both quilts are made from the same fabrics, one quilt has blue 4 patches while the other one has pink 4 patches.

Each 10" square makes two blocks.. The white background fabric was cut from yardage.

I bought the floral fabrics off the resale table at the Jane Stickle retreat several years ago. They make me smile! I had enough of each fat quarter left to make binding which has been sewn, bagged and is hanging with the flimsies.

These quilts will be quilted this coming winter then donated to the cancer center at Goshen Hospital for use by cancer patients. 

The pattern for these blocks was originally called Ground Cover and was designed by Me and My Sister. I don't like the name ground cover and renamed my blocks Summer Garden since I'm using these beautiful floral fabrics.

These quilt were fun and fast to make. I'll be using this pattern again for charity quilts.

Linking to Put Your Foot Down, TGIFF!, Peacock Party, Whoop Whoop Party, Finished or Not  Friday, Off the Wall Friday, Patchwork & Quilts

19 comments:

Kathi Clower said...

Go figure… got this post when first published!!! 🤪
I love your flimsy… your quilt flimsy holder I’m sure he was quite proud to stand on the slide too! I love this color way! I make my binding as I finish too!!! Lol
Kathi

Michele McLaughlin said...

These are lovely and that quilt holder man looks handsome and strong! I know these quilts will really cheer up a cancer patient!

Ray and Jeanne said...

Two people will be fortunate to receive these cheerful little quilts! The fabrics do make me smile too.Love your quilt holder - looks like he was a great helper! ~Jeanne

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

you have a terrific quilt holder there - he is a keeper for sure!

Chopin - A Passionate Quilter said...

Nice quilts and wow have those grand sons really grown up fast!!!! I feel older!! You know this pattern gives me an idea on how I might are the next fast quilt with the same type of fabric as Double Hourglass but in grey’s. Hummmm. Hugs

Robin said...

The quilts are really cheerful. Your quilt holder did a very nice job.

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

Two delightful quilts! I love the colour teamed up with the white, so fresh & pretty. They will be much loved & used I'm sure.

Margaret said...

A quilt holder is a handy thing -- er, person -- to have around the house! ;-)

Both of those are very pretty -- and while I agree with you about the name of the pattern, one might think of it this way: with those blocks, you can cover a lot of scrappy ground! Happy Quilting!

Jenny said...

They are lovely. Making the blocks with the different colour placement means they go together nicely without the need for sashing. Such a great idea.

Joy from Days Filled With Joy said...

Gorgeous! And what a clever quilt holder that is, lol! xx

Preeti said...

We are in agreement - red, white and blue make the best summer quilts. And handsome quilt models who take their role seriously make for perfect pictures. I hope he is well-compensated.

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

Lovely quilts, your floral fabrics look wonderful. Great pattern for donation quilts indeed, I may borrow it from you! Perfect new helper too, he looks very concentrate and aware of his important task ;)
Thank you for sharing your pretty flimsies, linking up today!

Rebecca Grace said...

I don't know whether or more smitten with your sweet quilts, or with your sweet quilt holding assistant! I love that serious face of his!! Great job.

loulee said...

What a bright and happy quilt top. Cute holder upper too.

Pat at Bell Creek Quilts said...

That's really cool that you get two blocks by swapping out 'the parts'!

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

Such a handsome little helper holding your quilts, Gretchen. Your quilts are adorable. Thank you so much for sharing the link. I have Ground Cover on my to do list now. Have a great weekend. Hugs.

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

What a great job your handsome quilt holder did! And what a lovely quilt with those soft pretty colours. Always wonderful things to see when visiting here, Gretchen.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

You have a great quilt holder!!!
and the quilts look so different to me, even with the same fabrics.... Maybe its my computer haha!! Love them!!!

Floor said...

What a treasure of a grandson you have! He is so excited to hold the cute quilt for the photo.