Friday, August 11, 2023

Summer Garden

I've been trying to stick to one project at a time this summer in the hopes of completing projects. There are a lot of pieces in the Christmas Star blocks and it takes awhile to get them sewn.

I'm rather tired of red and green fabric right now and when I saw Connie's post about her teeny tiny blocks, I fell in love! Then common sense raised it's head and said "No Way!" You don't have time to make something with those teeny tiny little blocks. Then I thought, "What if I'd enlarge the design and just make 4 blocks and put them on the design wall. Someday I could make more."

Common sense said I could do that. I thought I'd open the pre-cut box and pull something out of there, just to make 4 blocks, just 4 blocks!

In the top of the pre-cut box, I had a pattern called Ground Cover, a free pattern from Me and My Sister Designs. I must have seen a quilt on another blog using this pattern, I have no idea who that was.

So, instead of piecing 4 blocks of Connie's quilt, I prepped fabrics for this quilt which I've renamed Summer Garden. I had a fat quarter bundle with 10 floral fabrics I bought at retreat several years ago. They would be perfect for this project.

The background fabric is a Kona white even though it doesn't look white in the picture.

Then I pieced 4 blocks, just like I planned but not the blocks I had originally thought.

It didn't take long to sew these blocks, I think I'll piece a few every now and then when green and red gets tiring.

Linking to Put Your Foot Down, TGIFF!, Peacock Party, Whoop Whoop Party, Finished or Not  Friday, Off the Wall FridayPatchwork & Quilts

14 comments:

Floor said...

It's so nice to only make 4 blocks, that goes nice and fast.
Anyway, the fabrics are very nice.
Greetings,
Floor

Robin said...

I have to laugh at the way we all distract ourselves when we're working on a project. For example, I should be working on a Christmas quilt too so I'm making square in a square blocks out of Jo Morton fabric. That top blue fabric is so lovely.

Deonn said...

Looks like your fabrics will be perfect for this project! I think we all suffer from Quilter's A.D.D! Thanks for linking up with TGIFF today!

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

What a fun one, and a great palette cleanser between the red and green!

Lin said...

Those blue fabrics are gorgeous! Good idea to take a break from Christmas. xx

Michele McLaughlin said...

What a perfect break-project! Those blue blocks are lovely and calming as well! Great idea!

Created by Kathi said...

Hey Gretchen,
Such a fun getaway from red and green... tho I think you will be pleased with all the red and green with December and January roll around...
Enjoy!

Chopin - A Passionate Quilter said...

I understand how one can get tired of the same thing. I love the blue fabric on your 4 blocks! Enjoy breaking away from R&G! Hugs

piecefulwendy said...

I find little diversions to be very satisfying when current projects don't appeal. They are like little "palette cleansers" and give our creativity a jolt. I'm sure it felt good to get those four blocks done, and now you'll be ready to make more when you need a break from the red and green!

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

This is going to be a fun project, Gretchen. Thank you so much for sharing the link to both quilt designs. I just may have to whip up a few Ground Cover blocks myself.

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

I love this new project, and the new direction it's taking from the original idea ;) Great to have several projects to work on, you will enjoy even more stitching Christmas Stars after it. Pretty blue floral prints.
Thank you for sharing, and linking up!

Laurie said...

I'm trying to exercise a little less ADD too. I'm trying to complete things...or at least move them closer to complete than I do when I hop around like a cricket with ADD.

I do find that there are times when I NEED to skip to something else...otherwise I get bored and don't have the urge to work on anything.

Now you have the Christmas project and a brand new project that you can move forward when you need the break from the Christmas project. You can move both forward by alternating.

Your floral fabrics are beautiful. I love florals. :)

Laurie

Sarah said...

Sometimes you just have to scratch that itch! I like the four blocks you’ve made and a nice break from your other project!

cityquilter grace said...

they are very pretty....that word 'just' has gotten me into hot water before tho...lol