Sunday, August 27, 2023

A Gift From Bethlehem

Last May I posted about a wool work pincushion I had made called Woodland Gatherings. I had purchased the kit at Caroline's Cottage Cottons (260-854-3900) in Rome City. In that post I mentioned I had purchased another wool work project which I hoped to have completed by Christmas.

That project is called A Gift From Bethlehem. You can check with Caroline to see if she has any kits left. If she doesn't, you can purchase the pattern online from Little Bits by Joan who designed the pattern. I see she also has kits available which include the frame. Caroline didn't include a frame with her kit.

I've never had good success with iron on adhesives. This time I've used EZ-Steam II on the backside of the wool pieces. 

This adhesive is different from steam-a-seam or wonder under. There is a sticky adhesive so you can actually stick it on the background so it stay put before you iron it down.

I followed the instructions exactly like they said and pressed on top of a damp cloth, it seems to have worked! I let the block rest after pressing so it could cool down and dry off. 

I am very glad to say the pieces have all adhered!

I am disappointed though in the colors of the wools used. Joseph and Mary's clothing is rather drab. The only brightness is the star. Hopefully outlining everything with perle cotton with make it more interesting.

This isn't a full time handwork project, this is a small project to work on at the monthly handwork get-together at Elaine's house. I should have it finished before Christmas.

I was in Wakarusa last week to get my hair cut so of course I took a picture of the quilt garden.

Here is a link to Quilt Gardens along the Heritage Trail. I haven't made it to any of the other quilt gardens to take pictures.

12 comments:

The Cozy Quilter said...

Those quilt gardens look interesting! I'm looking forward to seeing how Mary and Joseph look as you add stitches to this piece. This is a good project to take along to your hand stitching group each month.

Anonymous said...

I looove your new wool project! I can’t wait to see each adorned a bit differently :). I may have to check out that website too!
I love seeing updates of the Wakarusa flower quilt!
Have a fantastic week ahead!
Kathi

CathieJ said...

I like your latest project. I am sure you will be able to brighten it up with some perle cotton. The flower quilt is so pretty.

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

Perhaps the drab colors of Mary and Joseph's clothing was done with thought. Looking at the pattern, the baby and the parent's faces appear to glow. If the clothing fabric were more colorful, the effect might not be similar. I think you will love the finish. I ALWAYS enjoy your posts. Thanks for sharing!

Karrin Hurd said...

I love the Gift from Bethlehem. That quilt garden is gorgeous, thanks so much for sharing!

Jenny said...

Such a lovely design, I'm sure you will enjoy stitching this Christmas wool piece up.

Lin said...

I am with Terry on this - the star and the baby are the 'stars' of the show and stand out beautifully. Lovely to see another garden picture. xx

Home Sewn By Us said...

Good morning, Gretchen! Boy, that quilt garden is so pretty. The flowers seem to be ebbing and flowing as if they were waves. Your wool project looks to be the perfect size to meet your deadline. While you might find the clothing to be rather drab, it seems to be fitting. The star should be the bright spot, at least if you believe in Jesus. Just my thoughts on that - I don't mean to offend. Happy Monday to you! {{Hugs}} ~smile~ Roseanne

Sara said...

The Quilt Garden is gorgeous! The wool project is really pretty. I do like those colors.

Kate said...

Very pretty flowers. Enjoy your hand stitching project. Hopefully you'll like it better once you've added some stitching to it.

Angie in SoCal said...

Thank you for the line to the quilt gardens. I'm looking forward to seeing them. A very nice hand worked piece. Just right for Christmas.

Brenda @ Songbird Designs said...

Looking forward to seeing your finished project, Gretchen! I love the Gift from Bethlehem! Looking forward to the finish. I've not heard of the EZ Steam II, but will have to see if I can find some to try. Thanks for linking up with Monday Musings.