Sunday, May 7, 2023

Woodland Gatherings

This past winter I've been going to Caroline's Cotton Cottage for Wildflower Girls. The location of her shop is in the Limberlost area where Gene Stratton Porter places the stories of her books. Each year Caroline bases the class on one of Gene's books. This year the book we learned about was the Harvester.

Caroline designs a pattern for us at each class. Usually it's a small quilt (which I don't normally make) but each year she also designs a pincushion. I decided to make the pincushion this year which is named Woodland Gatherings.

Each flower represents an herb talked about in the book. The pincushion measures 4.5" by 6.5".

I've always wanted to do wool work but never find the time, too many handwork projects in progress! I did buy another small kit though, a nativity scene. Hopefully I can work on it this spring/summer/fall and have it ready to be displayed at Christmas.

The reason the class is called Wildflower Girls is because Gene Stratton Porter was a naturalist and talks about wildflowers and nature in the books.

Linking to Kathys Slow Stitching Sunday, Stitching Stuff, Oh Scrap, Sew & Tell,  Handmade Monday, Design Wall Monday, Craftastic Monday, Monday Musings

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a cute little pincushion! A small wool project using a kit is a great way to dip your toe into wool appliqué without committing to a stash of wool supplies. Great way to do something associated with the theme of a book too. Gail at the Cozy Quilter

Kim said...

Such a sweet little pin cushion with wool work flowers. I love the sound of a wool work nativity scene.

Karla (ThreadBndr) said...

That is so cute! Congrats on the finish. I loved the Limberlost books when I was a schoolgirl.

CathieJ said...

What a pretty pincushion. I hope you get to work on that nativity.

Deb said...

Sounds like you have a wonderful stitching book club! What a great idea and an adorable pattern

Angela said...

I love those books! What a cool idea to base some stitching one them!

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

Thanks for sharing the author and a bit about her writing style. I plan to check my library. Great finish! I hear you about hand projects. . .there is only so much time in a day! LOL What a sweet pincushion!

Karrin Hurd said...

Love your pincushion, and what a great event to attend!

Robin said...

I am a big Gene Stratton Porter fan and have collected most of her books. I wish I could be a part of this program. Have you read the Harvester? It's a wonderful book. Your pin cushion is very cute. Thanks for sharing.

loulee said...

Cute little woolly pin cushion.

Jenny said...

Such a pretty little Pincushion, almost too nice to use.

Jayne Honnold said...

Very interesting to learn about Porter. When my kids were young, we watched Girl of the Limberlost frequently; I was unaware of the other books. Your needlework is exquisite.

Miaismine said...

Your photo at Kathy’s Quilt grabbed my eye and I just had to pop in and see what was going on in your world!
Your class sounds so wonderful! I love working with wool! Beautiful pincushion! I picked up a Nativity scene at our quilt show as well. Sigh…yes so many hand projects! 😊

Melva said...

What a sweet pin cushion. And a great way to try wool work with just a small and useful project. :) Thanks for sharing in Sew & Tell.

AnnieO said...

Beautiful job on the pincushion. I find wool applique more forgiving than other types. The colors are so yummy.

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

Such a darling pincushion, Gretchen. I love wool applique . You did a beautiful job. I am looking forward to seeing your nativity in the future. Have a great week.

Kate said...

Very pretty!

Sum of their Stories said...

This is so beautiful, thank you so much for sharing this with us at Handmade Monday :-)

Brenda @ Songbird Designs said...

I LOVE this, Gretchen!! So cute!! Thanks for sharing with us at MM.