Friday, May 19, 2023

Writer's Block

I've started piecing a new quilt that I've been wanting to make for years called Writer's Block. This pattern is found in the Red, White, and Sometimes Blue book which was published in 2011 by That Patchwork Place.

This red and white quilt is lovely but my quilt is going to be made with various blue fabrics and the background is a soft gray fabric.

Kelly Corbridge is the designer of this quilt, I think she must have had writer's block when she named this quilt. I'm going to change the name of my quilt but haven't had any ideas so far, any suggestions out there?

This quilt has been on my list for years, ever since I first saw it in the book. I even cut blue strips but have been searching for the right background fabric ever since. Now I've found it!

The background fabric is Whisper Weave Cloud by Benartex. I didn't buy this fabric online, it was purchased at Calico Point. The picture in the link displays the fabric so much better than any picture taken by me.

I've sewn the strip sets and have started cutting them into sections for the 9 patch blocks. There are three different types of 9 patch blocks.

Block A is a diagonal chain 9 patch. The best thing about this block is it works whichever way you turn it! I really like it when that happens.

Block B is a regular 9 patch block with dark corners.

Block C is a regular 9 patch with light corners.

When you arrange those blocks together into a double 9 patch block, you get a checkerboard block.

Those 9 patch blocks aren't sewn together. I have a LOT more 9 patch blocks to piece and there will be more variety of blues when they're completed. Individually the 9 patch blocks finish at 3".

Of course I'm changing the pattern, my quilt will have 16 checkerboard path blocks instead of the original 12. I'm also envisioning an applique border. Unfortunately the applique border will have to wait until I finish Hearts & Wreaths which has to wait until I finish the hexie table runner for the antique blanket chest.

This quilt is going to take a while to piece because I'd rather be spending my time outside. There will be plenty of time for sewing inside when summer heat and humidity arrive. 

Linking to Put Your Foot Down, TGIFF!, Peacock Party, Whoop Whoop Party, Finished or Not  Friday, Off the Wall Friday, Beauty Pageant, Patchwork & Quilts

13 comments:

karenbbsnow said...

This is going to be a beauty.

Podunk Pretties said...

I love this book! Lots of great patterns but you know I'm a sucker for red. Blues is going to be great too! You just can't go wrong with a traditional 2 color quilt. I wish I could help naming your quilt but I came up blank.

Carole @ From My Carolina Home said...

That is going to be a lot of little squares! The colors are lovely.

Ray and Jeanne said...

I love blue and white quilts. Now, I think I'm going to love blue and soft gray quilts, too! Looking good. ~Jeanne

Preeti said...

Writer's Block made me smile, especially since there is no Quilter's Block. We keep churning them out week after week :-D

T Holzer said...

This post cost me $30 because I had to buy the book lol!! Another quilt added to my already too long "to make" quilt list! "Checkerboards" for the name?? Unoriginal, I know, but...Have a great day and weekend.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

This is going to be so pretty!!! I like the blues and greys for it... I hope a new name comes to you soon!

Raewyn said...

That is a really nice grey you chose for your quilt which will look lovely in the blues. I just remembered I have this book too, I won it, lucky me, and do remember that it had some lovely quilts in it.

Gwyned Trefethen said...

What a fun pattern. I love your idea of softening the quilt with an appliqué border.

Ivani said...

This quilt will be gorgeous with various blue fabrics and the applique border.
Enjoy your outside time, Gretchen

Sharon Kwilter said...

Your version will be amazing with the applique. I am looking forward to watching your progress. How about Azure Mosaic for a name?

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

Wonderful start, it's going to be a beautiful and unique quilt. I love the variety of blues too, and an appliquéd border is a great idea!
Thank you for sharing this new project, and linking up!

Chopin - A Passionate Quilter said...

I like the Whisper Weave fabric line! Neat and this will be a pretty quilt! Hugs