Friday, April 14, 2023

Charity Comforters

It's that time of year and Sarah has her Hands 2 Help Comfort Quilt Challenge in progress. There are several agencies listed that need quilts. One of those groups is MCC (Mennonite Central Committee).

There are many different ways to support MCC including making comforter tops. Here is a link to the comforter page.

Comforter Bashes are held in various areas around the states. My local 'bash' is held in November. Here is a video from facebook for you to watch.

My church also has a church comforter bash coming up this month. Volunteers put the comforters in frame and 'string' them. The string hold the layers together then other volunteers sew the binding and return them to church to be finished

They will be knotted at the church bash then sent to MCC for distribution.

I am one of the volunteers who sews bindings. I recently bound 4 comforters and took pictures to show you.


Simple patterns are really the best designs for comforters.


Sometimes small quilts are donated and fabric borders are added to bring the comforter tops to size. The tops need to be at least 60" by 80".



This is a close up of what the 'stringing' looks like. The strings will be snipped then knotted.

6 comments:

Michele McLaughlin said...

Wonderful comforters Gretchen! I'm sure they will be appreciated!

Jenny said...

I've never seen stringing before. But then, I've never seen a tied quilt either.

Nancy said...

Thanks so much for sharing this information, Gretchen. It's very helpful, and interesting, too. I'm currently working on a top for MCC now and hope to finish another for Hands2Help before June. (We'll see if I manage two in two months!)

Gwyned Trefethen said...

I've done my share of knotting comfort quilts, but never via stringing. Seems there is always something new to learn. Thanks for showcasing this new to me technique.

Chopin - A Passionate Quilter said...

You do so many quilts to charity! They all are nice looking quilts! Hugs

Susan said...

Oh, I tie like that, except I use the needle to go under and over in a square knot as I go, then go clip threads. I was taught it was called Baptist tying, but the Baptists didn't teach me, so I don't know. These quilts all look great.