Friday, April 7, 2023

Cow Quilt Quilted!

Instead of putting the cow quilt into the 'to be quilted' closet, I decided to just quilt her now and have a complete finish.

First thing was to sew a 1" finished black border around the flimsy. It just needed some black to make all the other fabric shine.

Machine quilting is not my thing, I don't enjoy, I do it just to finish a small project and save some money. Since I had recently machine quilted several small projects using the serpentine design, that's what I decided to use. I used a brown/beige variegated thread.

Here is a close up picture of the quilting. Just so you know, cows don't have blue eyes.


There was green grass the day I took these pictures. I should embroider the mouth onto the cow and add a black eye to the rooster . . . I really should do that but I probably never will.

This cow quilt measures 49" by 55" after washing and drying. I'll be keeping this quilt for someone in my own family.

I had the perfect fabric for backing in my stash. I buy brown cow fabric whenever I see it because it is a rarity! I see now I took the backside picture the wrong direction. The quilting should be vertical, not horizontal.

The Cow Quilt pattern can be found here on the Counted Threads website. I did make changes to the pattern with color placement for the cow.

You can read more about piecing the cow quilt here.

Linking to Needle & Thread Thursday, TGIFF!, Peacock Party, Whoop Whoop Party, Finished or Not  Friday, Off the Wall Friday, Beauty Pageant, Patchwork & Quilts

16 comments:

Michele McLaughlin said...

What a fun quilt! I LOVE it! Your quilting is wonderful on this piece! I don't care to do my own machine quilting either but your results have me tempted! Sending hugs!

karenbbsnow said...

Super adorable!!

Preeti said...

So udderly cute :-D Love it.

Ray and Jeanne said...


This is so cute! Your quilting is perfect for this quilt - it's a great finish. ~Jeanne

Sharon Kwilter said...

It's adorable. Well done.

Jenny said...

And the farmer said, "how now, brown cow".

Marie said...

Very cute! I really like the wavey lines for quilting.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Swoon!!! That cow quilt is amazing!!!! I love her and her blue eyes!!! it works for her haha!!!
THis one is wonderful!

Ivani said...

Your Cow quilt is sooooo cute, Gretchen. Happy finish, Congrats!

Leanne Parsons said...

What a cute finish! Your serpentine quilting is the perfect choice for it :)

Florida Farm Girl said...

This is an adorable quilt! Love that backing fabric.

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

Lovely quilt, your little cow is so cute! Well done with the dark border, and I like the blue eyes ;)
Thank you for sharing, and linking up!

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

Awww ! Moovelous quilt and your quilting is amazing , Gretchen ! Can't get much cuter than this. Happy Easter.

Sandra Walker said...

Adorable cow quilt! I've made one cow quilt: paper-pieced a 12" finished head each month for the RSC that year. I recently won the Hairy Coo quilt pattern, so there is another in my future! Crazy how those little things like embroidered eyes and mouths just never seem to get done, but yay for a sweet finish!

Bernie Kringel said...

THis is a wonderful quilt! I have a very small piece of that cow backing fabric. Don't know where it came from but it sure is cute.

Michelle @ From Bolt to Beauty said...

It is impossible to look at this quilt without smiling. I love it!