Friday, April 28, 2023

Let's Pop Some Corn

I attended a quilt retreat last week and spent most of my time working on a table runner called Let's Pop Some Corn. This table runner was a kit gifted to me by my friend Linda.

This second picture shows the color of the background fabric better than the first photo.


I quilted the runner myself using a serpentine stitch. I've been inspired by Sew Preeti's Quilts and have quilted several quilts this way.

If you look at the link to the Let's Pop Some Corn pattern, you will see there are supposed to be seven ears of corn in the runner. I didn't want my runner to be as long as the pattern specified and only used 5 ears.

My version of the table runner measures 18.5" by 41.5".

I had thought I'd make placemats with the other two ears but changed my mind. I sewed the two blocks together and will make a small table topper. I want to make checkerboard borders around the sides, there was enough fabric leftover to do this.

Let's Pop Some Corn was designed by Sandy Gervais. If you google the pattern name, you can also find links to the kit.

When autumn arrives in six or seven months, I'll be ready with a new table topper and a smaller one too.

Thank you Linda for this lovely kit, perhaps you will come visit again and view the table runner in person. Hopefully we won't have 6" of snow this visit.

While at retreat, my friend Pat gifted me this cute little fairy house. It looks perfect in my flowerbed.

Linking to Needle & Thread Thursday, Put Your Foot Down, TGIFF!, Peacock Party, Whoop Whoop Party, Finished or Not  Friday, Off the Wall Friday, Beauty Pageant, Patchwork & Quilts

14 comments:

Ray and Jeanne said...

These are darling and will look so nice this fall! I have used the serpentine stitch for a number of quilts but not recently. I really do like the effect. ~Jeanne

Nancy @ Grace and Peace Quilting said...

What a sweet runner, Gretchen! I love the combo of corn and stars!!! And your squiggle quilting adds just the right texture!!!

chrisknits said...

Adorably cute!

Anne-Marie said...

Cute!

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

Such a darling table runner, Gretchen. Love the fabrics in this piece. Seeing it reminded me of my visit to the Corn Palace last year and all of the different types of corn used. The little fairy house is as cute as a button. Have a great weekend.

Cathy said...

Cute and unusual table runner - perfect for Autumn harvest time. Oh, a fairy house. What a great gift.

Vicki in MN said...

That kit was indeed a great gift, it is so perfect for the fall.

Michele McLaughlin said...

This is such a neat project! Love the background fabric you used too! It's gorgeous!

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

Lovely table runner, these ears of corn are pretty! Love the pumpkin prints, and the little leaves too. The serpentine stitch is perfect, it's as if the ears of corn were moving ;)
Thank you for sharing this finish, and linking up!

Ivani said...

Lovely table runner, Gretchen!

maggie fellow said...

that is a cute pattern- well done

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

That is just so cute!!!! I love the colors in it - and your quilting is perfect for it!!! makes the corn really shine !!

Raewyn said...

That's such a cute pattern. A lovely make, Gretchen!

Andree G. Faubert said...

Hi Gretchen, the serpentine stitch really adds to the quilt. Congrats!