Sunday, June 18, 2023

3/4" Grandmother's Flower Garden Tablerunner

I'm finished with the 3/4" hexies for the Grandmother's Flower Garden table runner. As of now, the runner measures 24" by 50".

For a change, I decided to take some pictures outside. First the right side of the runner.

This what the backside looks like. Only the outer edge papers are still basted into the runner.

Last week several people commented they couldn't see the mistake in the placement of the blocks. I think it's more clear in these pictures. If I don't make a disclaimer, some well intentioned person will comment that the outer edge isn't lined up correctly. I know that but I refuse to take it apart!

Then I decided to take a picture inside the house.

Next step for this project is to applique it to a border fabric. I had bought fabric several months ago but I've decided I don't like it. I'm going to need to do some shopping! 

Several people have commented on the quilt hanging beside the blanket chest. That quilt is Floral Triangles and you can read about it here.

I was in Wakarusa last week to have my hair trimmed so I took a picture of the quilt garden. I think the flowers in the center of the quilt are growing but those little begonias along the outer edge aren't doing much. 

Linking to Kathys Slow Stitching Sunday, Stitching Stuff, Oh Scrap, Handmade Monday, Sew & Tell, Design Wall Monday, Craftastic Monday, Monday Musings

16 comments:

Kim said...

I always love the look of the wrong side of hexie quilts. I think the irregular sides of your Grandmother Flower Garden runner is cool. It will look fabulous when you add the border fabric.

Created by Kathi said...

Hi Gretchen, Love your table runner... con't wait to see what you choose fabric wise for that ! Enjoy the rush of fabric shopping!
I love the updated "flower quilt" ... it is interesting how some flowers are blooming now... but others won't show off until a bit later!
Have a wonderful Sabbath day!
Kathi

Sylvia@Treadlestitches said...

Nice runner, just what I like, scrappy hexies. Good luck finding just the right backing. Thanks for showing us the quilt garden, it's lovely to see flowers standing in for fabric.

Angela said...

I love the quilt garden! Such a fun idea.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Your Grandmother's Flower Garden runner is beautiful! I think the shape of the edges makes it unique. I wouldn't want to take it apart either! It will be fun to see what you decide on for the border.

Linda said...

Those hexies are just beautiful, even the back of it is pretty. I still don't see the mistake, but it doesn't matter - whatever it is looks great! I thought I knew Indiana towns pretty well, but I hadn't hear of Wakarusa.

Miaismine said...

Your hexie table runner is so very pretty – from both sides! Thank you for sharing about Floral Triangles! Take good care!

Jayne Honnold said...

I totally understand your reluctance to take apart those hexies in order to achieve a straight edge. Using a border, I think I can envision it looking just fine when finished. I remember being very intrigued by your Floral Triangles. I am so glad to have had the chance to review it today! It m-i-g-h-t be on my to-do list one day....

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

Your "design element" makes your table runner more interesting to my eye! It is beautiful!

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

Such teeny and adorable hexies. I love the table runner. The quilt garden is looking great. The flowers have indeed grown; hopefully the begonias will catch up with the other soon. I hope you share another photo of the garden as the summer progresses. Have a great week, Gretchen.

Lin said...

Love your hexies Gretchen and the garden is looking great. More pics please as it grows. xx

Deb said...

Very nice hexie table runner. I don't do EPP but I do love the look!
I checked out the floral triangle quilt, gorgeous! Stay safe and sew on !

Brenda @ Songbird Designs said...

The back side of that hexie runner looks awesome, Gretchen...and so does the front. Looking forward to seeing what borders you stitch it to. Do you stitch the entire runner down on a background, or just stitch to border fabric? I've never made a hexie quilt and inquiring minds want to know! LOL Thanks for linking with Monday Musings!

Sum of their Stories said...

It's so pretty and unique. I totally relate to the idea of getting a fabric for a project and then changing your mind before time comes to use it! Happy shopping!

Sara said...

I really like that offset edge. You could make it even more offset and it would still look great.

Kate said...

It's a novel design choice, not a mistake. You have something unique to display. Very fun, definitely worth all the effort.