Friday, June 30, 2023

Star Dance

I started piecing the original blocks for Star Dance way back in January 2017 in conjunction with the RSC. I had thought this would be a 2 year project but it's been 6 years and she is finally finished!

I requested Lori Null use Raindrops on Water for the quilting design and it is perfect! She set the curves 1/2" apart.

Star Dance finishes at 94" by 105" which I consider a large queen sized quilt. She's a little small for our king sized bed but we're using her anyway. I think she makes a lovely quilt for summer.

I know the border looks green but it's not. It's a soft white but there are very faint light green ghost leaves in the background and my phone pulls out the green.

I decided I would use brighter fabric for the binding. I looked in my brights box and found these strips from a jelly roll. I thought they would kind of give a striped effect. There were 5 different colors of the same design with 2 strips of each color. I was concerned there wouldn't be quite enough length so I added 2 short strips of yellow/orange fabric.


You can see in the above picture that the background of the border is white and not green. See the ghost leaves?

The backing fabric is a very subtle white floral on white fabric. I can't capture the flowers with the phone. The fabric reminds me of the tablecloths my mother used to use for holiday meals.

It feel good to have a long time UFQ finished. 

Here is a link to the Star Dance pattern.

Linking to Put Your Foot DownTGIFF!, Peacock Party,  Finished or Not  Friday, Off the Wall Friday, Beauty Pageant, Patchwork & Quilts, Scrap Happy Saturday, Oh Scrap

22 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

lovely!

Sherrill said...

Beautiful!! A family treasure for sure!

Christinec said...

Oh I love it when a plan comes together. It is wonderful! Labor of love.

Cathy said...

Wow! Congrats on that beauty!

Elizabeth V Kelbaugh said...

Beautiful finish

Cassandra said...

Congratulations on a big finish! The fabrics are gorgeous, the quilting motif looks great, and I'm in love with your binding choice!

Jenny said...

Such a pretty summertime quilt. I always love seeing pieced blocks and applique together.

Gwyned Trefethen said...

Glorious! Love the appliqué border breaking up the pieced blocks. The raindrops on water quilting is very effective. What treat it must be to see that quilt every time you walk into your bedroom.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Star Dance is just beautiful, Gretchen! I really love the appliqued border around those stars. Definitely a summery feeling quilt!

The Joyful Quilter said...

Congratulations on a spectacular RSC quilt finish, Gretchen!!

Kat Scribner said...

Your Star Dance quilt is truly gorgeous!

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

I love Star Dance, this is such a gorgeous quilt! The quilting is like circles in the water, a sea of stars ;) The appliquéd border is very sweet, and the borders finish it really well. A very Summertime quilt!
Thank you for sharing your stunning quilt, and linking up.

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

Just so beautiful, Gretchen. I love the border too and the ghost leaves. All in pretty summery colours.

Katie Z. said...

What a beautiful quilt!

Preeti said...

Such a delicate beauty. She sure took her time but totally worth it!

Susie H said...

Beautifully done! I love the applique border with the pieced blocks and I think your floral border print is absolutely perfect! This is one pretty quilt and I can imagine how good it feels to be done.

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

What a gorgeous finish. I love the raindrop quilting design. It looks terrific on your bed!!!

T Holzer said...

She is a beauty! Gorgeous finish!!

Quilter Kathy said...

Absolutely stunning! Congratulations on creating such a beautiful quilt!

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Wow!!! that is a stunner - and I think it fits your bed perfect - it shows off that amazing applique!!!

Kim said...

Oh, my goodness! That is one of the most beautiful quilts I've ever seen. Thanks for sharing.

Kim said...

Oh wow, Star Dance is gorgeous, Gretchen. Such beautiful stitching and the quilting design is perfect. How beautiful 'she' looks sitting pride of place on your bed. Truly, the quilts you fashion, Gretchen, are astonishing!