Tuesday, June 27, 2023

Little Charity Quilts

I use leftover batting pieces in small quilts. Lori recently finished long arm quilting two of my large quilts so now the stash of batting pieces has been replenished. 

I used those pieces to quilt 3 small charity quilts which will be donated to the cancer center at Goshen Hospital.

First is Indian Hatchet which measures 33" square. 


I couldn't figure out what was wrong while I was quilting it. It just wasn't quilting smoothly. I know I'm not the best machine quilter but this was so much worse than normal.

It hit me while we were eating dinner, I forgot to use the walking foot, DUH!

I quilted the green & white broken dishes quilt after I attached the walking foot. This little sweetie measures 22" by 30" and used flippy corners from the trees in Peppermint Pines.


The third quilt is also a broken dishes quilt made from flippy corners leftover from 
Sunny Lanes. This quilt measures 28.5" by 33.5".

The borders on all three quilts was fabric that was gifted to me to be used for charity quilts. There was enough fabric to be used on the backside of each quilt also.

I wouldn't have purchased this bird fabric but it was perfect for this quilt!

The fish fabric was so cute but I wouldn't have purchased it either.


I would have purchased this floral fabric, it's beautiful!


I hope they bring some comfort and warmth.


I had signed up to participate in Sarah's Hands 2 Help challenge but my quilts weren't finished in time to be counted. That's ok, they're finished now!

Here is a link to an Indian Hatchet tutorial.

16 comments:

Michele McLaughlin said...

Lovely quilts and such a good use of scraps!!!

Carole @ From My Carolina Home said...

Wonderful finishes, will certainly be appreciated by those receiving them.

Carolyn said...

They are beautiful, and I am sure the recipients will be blessed by such a wonderful gift.

maggie fellow said...

they all look wonderful and will definitely offer comfort and love

Tazzie said...

Your little quilts are just lovely, and I'm sure they'll be such a comfort to someone in need. I think we've all made the mistake of not using the walking foot at times, and it's kind of a oops moment when we realise.
Have a wonderful week
*hugs*
Tazzie
:-)

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

they look great - I didn't use the walking foot on the doll quilt I just finished but it looks ok, I will need to remember that for when it is time to do the toddler quilt which I make next.

grammajudyb said...

Oh gosh! I did that once. Makes one feel a little "senior moment" like! I love these little quilts. I need to be more dedicated to using all the triangles I have accumulated.

Those gifted fabrics you never would have purchased were put to good use. And well done, I might add.

Robin said...

The border fabrics really enhance each center. Nice work!

Jenny said...

Very pretty, the golden one n particular!

Cheree @ The Morning Latte said...

Such good uses of "flippy corners"! I have sooo many! (And my current project is adding to them!)

Karin said...

Lovely, cheerful quilts. Using batting pieces is such a good idea. I need to sit down one of these days and sew my bitses together.

Jennifer Fulton Inquiring Quilter said...

Such pretty little quilts! Someone is really going to love them. Thanks for sharing on my weekly show and tell, Wednesday Wait Loss.

https://www.inquiringquilter.com/questions/2023/06/28/wednesday-wait-loss-334

dq said...

I favor the bright one! Great work!

Preeti said...

So much hope and beauty in them and I am sure they will bring joy to the recipients.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

those are so pretty!! Love the bright colors!

Chookyblue...... said...

Lovely quilts and I'm sure they will be loved......