Friday, June 23, 2023

Blueberry Pie

The center of my Blueberry Pie is finished! This was a fun and easy center to piece. He measures 74.5" square.

Doesn't he look like a woven coverlet?

I did change the pattern and made my quilt larger. Math and I don't always agree but I was very pleased when two out of the three types of 9 patches were exact the number of blocks I needed for the quilt.


Blueberry Pie is going into a closet until I'm ready to applique the border.

The original pattern doesn't have an applique borders but I'm envisioning 12" applique borders followed by a 9 patch border.  The 9 patch border will be followed by a more narrow border on the outside. 

Blueberry Pie's original name was Writer's BlockThe pattern is found in the Red, White, and Sometimes Blue book which was published in 2011 by That Patchwork PlaceKelly Corbridge is the designer of this quilt. The background fabric is a light soft gray called Whisper Weave Cloud by Benartex.

I changed the name from Writer's Block to Blueberry Pie. I didn't think the name Writer's Block had anything to with the quilt! Cynthia suggest the name Blueberry Lattice but I went with Blueberry Pie.

Perhaps someday I'll make a Cherry Pie but with more pieced blocks and no applique, someday being the key word here!

Linking to Put Your Foot DownTGIFF!, Peacock Party, Whoop Whoop Party, Finished or Not  Friday, Off the Wall Friday, Beauty Pageant, Patchwork & Quilts, Oh Scrap

22 comments:

Michele McLaughlin said...

Oh Gretchen, the quilt is GORGEOUS! I'm in love with it! Hope you can applique it soon! It's so lovely!

Anonymous said...

That is absolutely stunning!!

Katie said...

Gretchen -- this is heart stopping. Brava!

T Holzer said...

Oh my goodness this is stunning and I'm so glad I bought the book (when I didn't need it in the least lol!). I'm thinking of maybe going with a warm black and cream?? Thanks for sharing and I look forward to more progress posts!

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

WOW!!!
That one does not have anything easy looking in it - so I am glad that you enjoyed the piecing and thought it was. The borders you have planned will be stunning!!!

Podunk Pretties said...

This has a classic look that I love. All that white space would be fun for quilting.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful quilt so far, and I'm sure it will be stunning when it's done. I really enjoy reading your blog posts - thanks.

Cathy said...

Oh gosh...it already looks scrumptious so I'm trying to imagine the big pie with all the appliqued borders. Yummy!

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

Simply stunning, Gretchen! The borders that you have planned sound amazing. Sounds like good winter work as well. Congratulations on getting the center done. Have a great weekend.

Jenny said...

My goodness, what a beauty and it didn't seem to take you too long at all. Putting it away for a while will give you time to consider some lovely options forthe appliqued border.

cityquilter grace said...

very pretty...love a blue and white quilt

Robin said...

Wonderful! I like that you have different colors of blue. It really makes it sparkle.

Anonymous said...

It’s absolutely beautiful!!

Rebecca Grace said...

Ooh, Gretchen, I was in Love At First Sight with your Blueberry Pie quilt, and then you said APPLIQUÉ BORDERS and now I'm swooning!!! I can't wait to see what you have in mind for this beauty!

Lin said...

That's wonderful Gretchen. xx

The Cozy Quilter said...

Wow! I just love this quilt top! Appliqué borders will just pot it over the top!

Chopin - A Passionate Quilter said...

Oh Gretchen it is beautiful!!! I need to get my book out and make one!!!! - maybe later this year!

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

Oh wow, I love it! Your center is gorgeous, and I can't wait to see what appliqué border will be attached. You are such a good planner, envisioning the perfect borders that your quilt will need to shine even more. It really looks like a blueberry pie with whipped cream rings ;))
Thank you for sharing your inspirational work, and linking up!

maggie fellow said...

wow - I know your applique will make a treasure. I have been working oon a red and white quilt and find it very satisfying in just 2 colors

Rose Marie said...

This is gorgeous and I can only imagine what you will do with the borders. I'll be staying tuned to see more of this quilt!

Vicki in MN said...

It's already gorgeous as is, but with your additions it should be stunning.

Chookyblue...... said...

Oh wow this looks wonderful...... Love blue and white together......