Friday, June 3, 2022

Forest Paths

Month 6 of the Wildflower Woods BOM are 4 pinwheel blocks which have been named Forests Paths. 


The border fabric had several designs and I decided to go with a partial design for my border. I thought it gave a lacy effect and I liked the way it looked.







When I was piecing the HST blocks for my Blue Ridge Beauty, I mentioned that I didn't cut the HST's the way the pattern said. I used my half/quarter ruler. Several people asked me what I was talking about. I took pictures as I cut the HST's for the pinwheels.


There are other brands of this ruler, I was in my Fons & Porter stage when I purchased this ruler many many years ago.

First you need to cut your length of fabric to the width you want. you can cut in half inch increments. I wanted my HST's to be 3.75" so I cut my width of fabric 4". This will give me plenty to trim them to the 3.75" size after sewing. You need to make sure the edge of he fabric on the left side is a straight cut.

Line up the left edge of the ruler then cut your diagonal line. By placing the light fabric on top of the darker fabric, you can cut both layers at the same time and they'll be ready to sew.


For the 2nd cut, turn the ruler, line up and cut.

5 comments:

Allison said...

Pretty blocks. Thats one of my favourite rulers - use it all the time.

Chopin - A Passionate Quilter said...

I like the little borders that look like lace! Neat way to do you HSTs. Hugs

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Those are really neat blocks - I like that fabric that is two toned - gives those blocks a punch!

Nancy @ Grace and Peace Quilting said...

Very pretty pinwheels!! I know just what you mean with your ruler--I use the Easy Angle that does the same thing. It is very handy!!!

Anja @ Anja Quilts said...

Pinwheels are great. I hope you link up your finished quilt when done. Thanks for linking up with Thank Goodness It's Finished Friday.