Sunday, June 12, 2022

Butterflies

I had thought last Sunday was the only handwork for Wildflower Woods but I was wrong. Block 9 was a doozy. I don't mind set in seams but this block finishes at 6" and those were small pieces to be inset!

I decided the way to go was hand piecing the block. I hand pieced 2 butterfly blocks then carefully pressed them. Guess what, they were too small!

I had 3 choices of what to do next, 1 - piece 2 more butterflies which I was not going to do. 2 - piece 2 more windmill blocks since the butterflies will be set beside them or 3 - sash them.

Number 3 was an easy winner so that is what I did.The sashing isn't very wide but it works.


I made a change in the fabric used for the top part of the wings. The piece in the baggie was from the border panel which would have worked great if there would have been a whole piece of a flower but there wasn't. I didn't like the way I thought it would look. This piece of pink vine fabric was large enough to cut 4 wings so that is what I used. I liked this fabric than the original fabric.

Block (or month) 9 is the last block to be pieced. I started sewing the quilt together earlier and posted about that last Friday.

15 comments:

Debra said...

Beautiful block

CathieJ said...

I like how you made the block adjustment. Those butterflies look great!

Created by Kathi said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Created by Kathi said...

I love that you picked sashing those darling butterflies Gretchen,,,
Have a happy Sunday!!
Kathi

The Cozy Quilter said...

We don’t make mistakes…just opportunities for creativity! Great way to save those butterflies!

Kim said...

Those butterflies are pretty. I like the pink vine fabric. Adding the sashing to the sweet butterflies is an excellent resolution.

Ivani said...

Sure you chose the best, Gretchen. The butterflies look great.

Karla (ThreadBndr) said...

Skinny sashing in the background fabric is my preferred solution to 'undersized' blocks. I clicked through to the final design and I think 'floating' the butterflies will look even better than the original design. It will keep them from blending into the windmill blocks. Good solution and lovely piecing, Gretchen!

Karrin Hurd said...

Your butterfly blocks look wonderful! Happy stitching!

Judy Hansen said...

I like your butterflies. The pink wings look great. Set in seams in a small blocks such as this one? Ugh. Glad they are finished, and the outer border looks great - just like it was a planned thing. Hugs, Judy

Jenny said...

I'm always in awe of the wonderful variety of projects you are working on. Such a shame your butterflies turned out a little small but that was an easy fix with adding frames.

AnnieO said...

I'm very familiar with Sashing for the Save, lol! Your hand-pieced work will definitely be the star of your block.

Bonnie said...

Love AnnieO's comment "sashing for the save." And, I definitely agree that is an efficient way of handling the issue. The butterflies look great.

Chopin - A Passionate Quilter said...

Late again. I have done the same thing on blocks that did not turn out size wise. Always a good fix. I would have done the same. Hugs

JOY @ http://joysjotsshots.blogspot.com/ said...

I agree. Many times hand stitching is the easier way to go.