Wednesday, June 1, 2022

Dove in the Window

Month 5 of the Wildflower Woods BOM was Dove in the Window, 4 blocks.


Normally when I'm piecing a new quilt, I cut the fabrics each step at a time but now I'm only making 1 block at a time so I cut all the fabrics for the block. 


See the sashing in between the blocks? The instructions said to cut it at 4.75", so I did. Unfortunately, after I pieced the dove blocks, I realized the sashing should have been cut at 5". 

This kit is several years old so I can't run to Carolines to pick up more fabric. What else could I do, I just pieced the sashing. Fortunately there was enough extra fabric to cut enough pieces to piece. I made sure I had the design in the fabric pieces going the same direction. 

Linking to To Do TuesdayMidweek Makers, Wednesday Wait Loss, Stitch Sew & Show, Put Your Foot Down,  Needle & Thread Thursday

13 comments:

grammajudyb said...

Glad there was enough fabric to recut the sashing. I find that to NOT be the case in most kits. This quilt is going to be beautiful.

Jennifer Fulton Inquiring Quilter said...

Glad you had enough to correct the mistake! Lovely blocks. The fabric is very pretty!

Jennifer Fulton Inquiring Quilter said...

Forgot to say thank you for sharing your works in progress on Wednesday Wait Loss!

Ray and Jeanne said...

I'm so glad you had a kit with enough fabric to piece the sashing - it looks good. Hopefully you'll have accurate instructions going forward. ~Jeanne

Linda said...

Gosh that's a pretty block! I can't see the piecing in the sashing, glad you had enough to piece it. I have frequently pieced when I made an error in cutting or messed up with my seams, and I remind myself - Granny pieced that way with every quilt and it just added to the character of her quilts :D
Thank you for sharing with us at To Do Tuesday!

Chopin - A Passionate Quilter said...

Pretty blocks - I had an experience with seeing how shops put kits together when I first started quilting. They slipped in some cheaper fabrics but still charging for the expensive ones. Years ago, at a local quilt show one of the vendors had 2 kits on sale. They were from Thimbleberries. Lynette Jenson always did exceptional patterns and so I purchased them. They are still in the drawer. Someday……. Maybe I will pull them out and make them. Thimbleberries were the rage back then. Your quilt will be so pretty! Hugs

viridian said...

I really like the fabrics you used. Glad you were able to manage the mis-cuts.

Miaismine said...

Your blocks are stunning! I love how they point to the center tiny square! From your post, I've learned that if I buy a kit, make it a priority to finish it right away. I'm cringing at all the kits sitting in my sewing room! I'm glad it worked out for you!

Chookyblue...... said...

I cut one too short the other day I just added some on......I couldn't re cut it......

Cheree @ The Morning Latte said...

I couldn't see any extra piecing in the pic, and even if the sashing has some extra piecing...well, isn't that what quilts are? :o)

GrMs Jean said...

I love how the center of the blocks seem to whirl with the way you cut the brown background roses! Beautiful!

chrisknits said...

I love your color scheme on this one!!

For the love of geese said...

It is going to be stunning when you are finished. Thank you for linking up to Put your foot down, hope to be back to my normal schedule soon.