Thursday, September 12, 2024

Blue Pineapple Blocks

I'm finished, the 64 pineapple blocks are pieced!

Sixty-four blocks make quite a stack. The next step is to remove the paper from the backside of the blocks. Normally when I foundation paper-piece, I remove the paper immediately after piecing each block. This time I didn't because I had the blocks on the display floor since the first part of August. I could pick them up in a hurry if I needed to and they wouldn't get wrinkled.

We've been having lovely early autumn weather this month. It's definitely sweater weather in the early mornings but the afternoons are perfect for sitting on the porch and removing the papers. That's the plan anyway. 

Finished, these blocks will measure 12.25". 

I purchased the foundation papers from Gigi's Thimble. Gigi had a sew along in 2022 but I wasn't aware of it. I thought her quilt was beautiful when I stumbled across it. Of course it was in blues, how could I resist, so I ordered the foundation papers.

I was surprised when the papers arrived. The pattern was printed on ordinary white paper, just like what I would run through my printer. Normally paper used for foundation paper piecing is a lighter weight paper, easier to tear for removal, less apt to make the edge seams come undone when removing the paper.

I had the papers so I used them, however I do not recommend them. When I wrote my post in April about the blocks, someone commented that they normally use regular paper for foundation paper piecing. After foundation paper piecing 64 of these blocks, I am definitely NOT a regular paper fan and will stick to newspaper weight paper from now on. That's my opinion, you use whatever weight of paper you want to use.

Linking to Midweek Makers, Wednesday Wait Loss, Needle & Thread Thursday, Put Your Foot Down, TGIFF!, Finished or Not Friday, Off the Wall Friday, Beauty Pageant, Patchwork & Quilts


16 comments:

Ray and Jeanne said...

Love the blues and whites! I sometimes print my own paper piecing papers. Although I prefer the lighter weight paper too, I've found that printer paper isn't too bad if I use really small stitches. Once someone told me to use large coffee filters pressed flat - it worked quite well! ~Jeanne

Lin said...

Just stunning! And I know why I never do foundation paper piecing! xx

Podunk Pretties said...

This is going to be a stunning quilt. I admire anyone who has the patience to do foundation piecing. The paper removal...Ugg.

Linda said...

I'm so impressed - your quilt is just beautiful! Good information on the foundation papers (if I ever paper piece), that is a shame. Hope you enjoy your paper removal in the nice weather!

Maggie said...

Dear Gretchen,
What a beauty this one is! Wow!

T Holzer said...

Beautiful, Gretchen and you inspired me to bring my pineapple quilt out again. I plan on making 49 blocks and yesterday I finished 37 and started 38. I agree that the papers are too thick and I wonder what her reasoning is, especially when that weight of paper isn't typical?? I don't love making these blocks. I find them too repetitive and boring to make, but I'm gonna push through lol and get this one done and off my ufo list! Thanks for the kick in my pants and have a great weekend.

Jennifer Fulton Inquiring Quilter said...

What gorgeous blocks! No wonder you fell in love. Can't believe she sent you regular paper foundations! Like you, I would never foundation piece that way--just too hard to remove the paper! However, a friend of mine Carolina Moore sells a water pen she uses to remove paper. You might want to give it a try, since you have so much paper to remove! https://carolinamoorepatterns.com/collections/all/products/foundation-piecing-water-pen

Thanks for sharing on my weekly show and tell, Wednesday Wait Loss.
https://www.inquiringquilter.com/questions/2024/09/11/wednesday-wait-loss-397

Rebecca Grace said...

I had to use regular weight paper for my FPP pineapple log cabin because the blocks were so big and I was limited to the paper they had for the large format printer at the FedEx Office shop where I had them printed. I used a larger than normal needle, like a size 90 I believe, and then reduced my stitch length to 1.5 to get perforations that were easier to tear away with the heavier paper and that seemed to work well. I'm sorry you're having trouble removing your papers but your blogs are just jaw-dropping-spectacular and it's totally worth the aggravation!

Elizabeth V Kelbaugh said...

Wow, awesome blocks and will be a gorgeous quilt. Who doesn't love blues.

Jenny said...

That's a whole lot of blue pineapples, they look great.

QuiltE said...

Already a beauty and is only going to get more-so as you finish it up. Are you going to keep this one for yourself? Hope so!

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

This is going to be a stunner, Gretchen. The blocks are magnificent. I hope the removal of the paper is quick and uneventful. Have a wonderful weekend. Hugs.

Michele McLaughlin said...

I love the blue pineapples! Good to know about the foundation paper. I usually just run vellum through my printer. Recently a friend gave me a pack of Sew Emma foundation papers. Will let you know what i find.

Anne-Marie said...

These are gorgeous! 😍

Connie said...

It just keeps getting better and better!

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

Wow, that's a lot of beautiful blocks. I hope the paper will be easy to remove. Enjoy the cooler weather ;)