Thursday, April 25, 2024

Retreat Project

My focus in 2024 has been to make progress with quilts that I've had on my 'to do' list for years. I had planned to work on two of those quilts at the Jane Stickle retreat a couple of weeks ago but progress was made with only one quilt.

I spent the entire retreat piecing pineapple blocks using the foundation paper piecing method. Pineapple blocks take a  l o n g  time. I actually thought I could piece the 49 blocks I needed in 4 days! That did not happen. 😞  I didn't quite complete 20 blocks but they have been finished since I returned home.

I purchased the foundation papers from Gigi's ThimbleGigi had a sew along in 2022 but I wasn't aware of it. I thought her quilt was beautiful when I stumbled across it. Of course it was in blues, how could I resist? Then I ordered the foundation papers.

I was surprised when the papers arrived. The pattern was printed on ordinary white paper, just like what I would run through my printer. Normally paper used for foundation paper piecing is a lighter weight paper, easier to tear for removal, less apt to make the edge seams come undone.

The paper will not be removed from the back of the blocks until all the blocks are pieced. I'll work on and off this spring/summer to sew the last 29 blocks.

Surprisingly there were several pineapple quilts under construction at the retreat. One retreater was using the large ruler. She was frustrated when she couldn't get the blocks squared right. That is why I was foundation paper piecing. Another retreater was using the small ruler, her block ended up in the trash, she was going to use paper for the rest of her blocks. There were several pineapples in progress using small paper pieced blocks, I think they were a Bonnie Hunter pattern. My blocks are larger, I want this quilt finished in my lifetime.

The second quilt I had planned to sew blocks for was Garden Party, a Bonnie Hunter quilt from her Addicted to Scraps book. That kit will live in the retreat bag until next November.

I did take an embroidery project along which was embroidered during Show & Tell. I'll show you when it's completed.

Linking to Midweek Makers, Wednesday Wait LossNeedle & Thread Thursday, Put Your Foot Down, TGIFF!, Finished or Not  Friday, Off the Wall Friday, Patchwork & Quilts



21 comments:

Connie Kauffman said...

Beautiful! I love pineapple quilts, and blue and white is lovely! How big are your blocks?

Linda said...

I've never tried a pineapple, but yours sure are beautiful.

Nancy @ Grace and Peace Quilting said...

Oh yes, that looks like it takes a lot of stitching. Interesting to hear about the other retreaters who were trying other methods and sizes. Your blue & white is absolutely beautiful, Gretchen!!!

greaterexp said...

Fabulous! You've inspired me to dust off my Creative Grids pineapple ruler, and use some scraps. Your quilt sparkles!

Anne-Marie said...

This is so stunningly beautiful.

Pat at Bell Creek Quilts said...

Your pineapple blocks are awesome! My guild is doing a presentation of pineapple quilts in June and I volunteered to make the Bonnie Hunter pattern.

Maggie said...

Dear Gretchen,
What a beauty this pineapple is! Love the blues, they are my favourite colours. Have never tried the pineapple pattern before, glad you said that the paper piecing is the way to go. It looks like a great way to use scrappy strips leftover from other projects. My only question is this, how do the seams nest or ar they thicker than normal when you want to sew the blocks together? This is where my brain goes when I look at the blocks and try to see how the pieces fit together. Please let us know how this works, I would really appreciate it.

Jennifer Fulton Inquiring Quilter said...

You're certainly right about how long it takes to piece pineapple blocks! But oh my how lovely! This is a blue and white treasure. Can't wait to see the finish. Thanks for sharing on my weekly show and tell, Wednesday Wait Loss.
https://www.inquiringquilter.com/questions/2024/04/24/wednesday-wait-loss-377

Susies-scraps.com said...

Stunning blocks.

QuiltE said...

Another Gretchen Beauty is on the way!

Agree, PPing is the way to go with something like this. No worry about wonkyness, instead get perfectly pieced and pointy beyond belief.

My PPing is all with regular printer paper and I don't have any of the problems you mentioned at the seam edges. What I do is turn my stitch length way down and stitch well beyond the edge of the block. I trim off the excess paper and fabric as soon as I finish piecing but do not remove the paper til I'm ready to proceed. With the short stitches I never seem to have problems removing the paper either.

I'll be cheering you on with this, as I am another huge blue fan.

T Holzer said...

I love how striking your blue fabrics are! I started the sew along with Gigi a couple years ago in reds and creams. I've been working on other quilts in between pineapple blocks and have 37 of 49 blocks completed. Thanks for sharing your quilt...maybe this post will get me back on the pineapple wagon?!?

Denise said...

Some designs just can't be made witouth fpp, and the quilter keeping their sanity. This is one I wouldn't consider without paper. Hopefully some of the printer paper will work itself loose on its own. It's going to be beautiful. Thank you for linking up to Put your foot down.

Jenny said...

These are amazing blocks, and you are sewing them beautifully.

Nancy said...

These blocks are stunners! They will become a beautiful quilt.
My paper piecing experience is limited to a few blocks in a sew-along I did a few years ago. But I've been wondering if it would work to print the pattern on telephone book pages. I suppose they might be too thin and maybe the ink would get on the pages? But it seems that thickness of paper might be better than printer paper. As I said, no experience here, just wondering about possibilities. Maybe I'll make a pineapple quilt some year!

Lin said...

Stunning! xx

Elizabeth V Kelbaugh said...

Gorgeous!

Raewyn said...

Your quilt so far looks amazing - it's interesting to hear of everyone's experiences sewing them at retreat as a pineapple quilt is on my Wishlist too. I regularly use standard printer paper for FPP and don't have any issues removing it.

sue s said...

I love your blues! I tried to use the large ruler and only ended up making ONE block before I quit. I have used telephone paper for string blocks, but haven't tried to print on it. I hear newsprint from the dollar store works well. Some day I will try again!

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

This quilt is looking amazing, Gretchen. The blues are so vibrant and rich. I look forward to following your progress and you move this quilt along. Enjoy your quilting time. Hugs.

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

Your pineapple blocks are lovely, blue of course, with pretty fabrics. Cute little red roses! I agree with you about FPPing this kind of block, it's so much easier! Fun that there were other pineapple quilts on the retreat!
Thank you for sharing these gorgeous blocks!

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Oh wow - those blocks are so incredible!!! I can't imagine getting the 20 done you did in 4 days - amazing!!!