Thursday, April 18, 2024

Radiant Blues

The first blocks for Radiant Blues are finished! These stars finish at 16".  All of the stars are going to have a flower center.


Foundation paper piecing makes these stars turn out perfect! This block is a little dark, I like the next block better.


There is a glow to the center fabric that doesn't show in the pictures. The gold vine gives the fabric a brown tint in the picture. It's not that way in real life. The fabric  around the center is a light gray but it looks white in real life also.


I took these pictures outside but they have a dark tint to them. Hopefully the next photos will show their brilliance.

The center fabric is called Dutch Cottage and is a Robert Kaufman fabric.

It takes me two days to piece one block. Feathered stars are slow blocks to piece.

The pattern for Radiant Blue(s) is found in the January/February 2007 issue of Fons & Porter's Love of Quilting magazine and is designed by Marsha McCloskey. I'm not using Marsha's directions to piece the stars, I'm foundation paper piecing them using the 16" pattern found here from Threaded Quilting Studio.

Linking to Midweek Makers, Wednesday Wait Loss, Put Your Foot DownTGIFF!, Finished or Not  Friday, Off the Wall Friday, Patchwork & Quilts, Needle & Thread Thursday


19 comments:

Connie Kauffman said...

I love these! Thanks for the link to the paper pieced pattern.

Maggie said...

Dear Gretchen,

Great blocks, love the fussy cut look for the center of the feather star blocks.

Linda said...

Your Radiant Blues blocks are gorgeous! I am really fond of the first one. I just downloaded the pattern from the link and am on the hunt for the magazine - I love older quilting magazines!

T Holzer said...

Your blocks are just so pretty!

Carissa said...

This is going to be a stunning quilt! Lovely stars so far.

Nancy @ Grace and Peace Quilting said...

Beautiful start to your quilt, Gretchen!!! I like how you're using solid blenders with the same fussy cut print in the center! Are you taking photos with your cell phone? You can edit the photo to brighten it up a bit to a more true color, if you are.

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

Your Radiant Blue blocks are stunning Gretchen. Gorgeous fabrics that you are working with; I bet it is a lot of fun to play with the placement of the different blues. I look forward to watching this quilt grow. Happy quilting. Hugs.

Jayne Honnold said...

Gretchen, these are stunning. You will have a showstopper quilt when they all come together. It inspires me to use some of the foundation papers I've got around here gathering dust. (There's always too many quilts to make and not nearly enough time in which to make them!!)

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

I love them! I remember when you showed the center fabric, it looked different. It's not easy to photograph fabrics the way we want them!
Your stars are perfect, it's going to be another gorgeous quilt.
Thank you for sharing with this Friday's TGIFF ;))

Julie in GA said...

Your Feathered Star blocks are gorgeous! I love Marsha McCloskey's designs.

Vicki in MN said...

What beautiful feathered stars!! Thanks for including the link for the free pattern.

cityquilter grace said...

gorgeous blocks....excellent pattern by marsha...i saved this one as well...and you are right, PP makes them perfect!

time4stitchn said...

Gorgeous center fabric! I think it will add so much to all your perfect feathered stars. I think they are special blocks. I have made one using the Marsha McCloskey method. It turned out well. You have made such good progress.

Chopin - A Passionate Quilter said...

Love the stars! I am thinking about making a Red and White McCloskey pattern again. I love the way she makes the HSts with bias strips. Yours will be another beauty! Hugs

Anonymous said...

I love how each block looks different depending on where you put the light, medium and dark fabrics. Gail at the cozy quilter.

Angie in SoCal said...

Beautiful blocks. This quilt i going to be a stunner! Thanks for stopping by my blog.

Jennifer Fulton Inquiring Quilter said...

They take a long time to make but man are they pretty! Love that center fabric you're using. Thanks for sharing on Wednesday Wait Loss.

Raewyn said...

These are lovely blocks and well worth the effort to make them. I think Foundation piecing was a wise decision - I've made one of these before and remember that accuracy was key for success!

PaintedThread said...

So many little points. They're very pretty.