Thursday, April 4, 2024

Radiant Blues

In January I posted a list of projects for 2024. One of those projects was called Radiant Blue hereafter to be known as Radiant Blues. The pattern for Radiant Blue is found in the January/February 2007 issue of Fons & Porter's Love of Quilting magazine and was designed by Marsha McCloskey.

Marsha is famous for her method of piecing feathered stars. However, I'm not going to use her method. I'm a foundation-paper-piecer and I'm going to use the free 16" no Y seam feathered star fpp pattern from Threaded Quilting Studio. I used the same pattern for the first time when I made this little quilt.

The 16" star is a different size than the size star Marsha specifies for her pattern. I will make a sashing change. Another change is my wall quilt is going to be larger than the pattern and will include 9 stars.

I've pulled fabrics however the colors aren't quite true in this photo. And the fabric underneath the blues looks more brown than in person.

Here is a more true color picture of that fabric. I purchased this fabric several years ago to be used in a Patchwork of the Crosses quilt designed by Lucy Boston. I started that quilt with good intentions but quickly became unenthused. I made 6 blocks and made this little quilt.

I never did use this fabric so now it's time has come. These designs are approximately 5" on point, perfect for the centers of the stars.



I've laid the center paper on the fabric, perfect fit!


Here it is sewn. 


There are 3 different flower designs in the fabric, a perfect number for 9 blocks. Next post I'll have at least 1 feathered star block to show you, optimistically there will be 3 blocks!

Next time won't be next Thursday however, I'll be at the Jane Stickle retreat in Shipshewana!

Linking to Midweek Makers, Wednesday Wait Loss, Needle & Thread Thursday, Put Your Foot DownTGIFF!, Finished or Not  Friday, Off the Wall Friday, Patchwork & Quilts

23 comments:

Linda said...

Such pretty blue fabrics, and I love the center star fabric. Yours is the 3rd bluesy quilt I've seen this morning, so I think a blues quilt is in my future. ;)

Michele McLaughlin said...

This is gorgeous! I love blue fabrics and this is so appealing!

Jennifer Fulton Inquiring Quilter said...

What a perfect place to showcase that lovely fabric! It will make the perfect centers for your blocks. What a pretty quilt this is going to make! Thanks for sharing on my weekly show and tell, Wednesday Wait Loss. https://www.inquiringquilter.com/questions/2024/04/03/wednesday-wait-loss-374

Jenny said...

You are a true blue quilt lover, for sure.

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

Loving all your blues! The floral is perfect for the centre, I'm looking forward to seeing how this progresses... no pressure!

Mystic Quilter said...

The centre for your stars is glorious, and such a collection of beautiful blues.

Lin said...

What a great design and your fabrics are lovely, I do like a blue quilt. The centre fabric was a great find too and perfect for this project. xx

Jenny K. Lyon said...

This is gorgeous!

Rose Marie said...

Looking forward to see more of this project!

Nancy @ Grace and Peace Quilting said...

This is going to be a beautiful quilt!!! I've used that free pattern before, too and it was easy to work with. Although I just made one block, for a mini.

Ray and Jeanne said...

This is going to be gorgeous! I like the idea of using fpp - I have to go check out that link. I love all your blues and look forward to seeing this one finished. ~Jeanne

Hanne said...

I love your Feathered Star quilt!
I am also a foundation paper piecer :-)
I have a pattern here I bought at Yoders some years back.
The pattern is Mini-Feathered Star.
I am not starting anything new for a while - keeping to my master plan of shrinking my project pile :-)

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Wow!!! This is going to be Stunning! your blues are so rich!

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

Your blue fabric selection is beautiful, and this floral one is gorgeous!
Thank you for sharing your project and the pattern link.

Norma Schlager said...

I love blues, too and I love your quilt. Your fabrics are scrumptious and you used that special fabric beautifully.

Angie in SoCal said...

I love that fabric!!

Gwyned Trefethen said...

This is going to be a stunning quilt. I LOVE your fabric choice and the fact that you are fussy cutting it for each star center.

Maggie said...

Dear Gretchen,

I love Marsha’s method for the feathered star, used it on the Vintage Moments pattern and kit that I made which she designed. Have a wonderful retreat.

Leanne Parsons said...

Such beautiful blues! And that print is perfect for the centers of the stars!

K Reeves said...

This is going to be spectacular Gretchen!

dq said...

Gretchen, it will be so pretty! I love reading that you do things the way you prefer to do them. I am so much the same. Piece it the way you like and add sashing or borers to get the size you want - perfect!

Jay said...

You got farther than I did with the Patchwork of the Crosses blocks. I made one, and even though I had subscribed to a monthly block program, I quit. No way did I want to make any more of those blocks!

Chopin - A Passionate Quilter said...

Love the fabric for the center and I know your version will be very special! Hugs