Sunday, January 28, 2024

Tula Hexies

Quilting Hearts & Wreaths has been my hand work since it's gone into the quilting frame. This week I took the time and finished hand sewing Tula Hexies together.

This flimsy is hand sewn, not EPP'd. I really enjoyed the hand sewing, it was very relaxing and easier on my hands than EPP.

Here Tula Hexies is resting on a porch chair. 

Here's she's posing on the living room area rug.

And the backside picture. Pressing isn't all the same. I just pressed whichever way the blocks wanted to turn. This will be machine quilted so it doesn't matter if there is bulk.

A cute black Tula print was used for the top and bottom borders. I hand sewed it onto the hexies.

Half hexie blocks were used to finish the sides. The border fabric is a black & white strip which will look nice with all the bright fabrics.


I had planned that all the striped fabrics would be pieced into a more interesting design. To do that, you need to remember to cut the hexies larger then re-cut them into triangles. I forgot 😔 to cut them larger, that is why there are some striped hexie blocks.

Tula Hexies is 51" by 80". The hexies are 2" hexies. You measure the length of one of the sides. I was inspired to make this quilt after watching Hanne and Deb working on their hexies at the November 2023 retreat. Why do I call it Tula hexies? All the fabrics are designed by Tula Pink and purchased at Clothesline Creations in Middlebury, IN.

Tula Hexies will hang in the 'to be quilted' closet until sometime this summer then I will machine quilt her. I know the design I want to use so hopefully it will come together.

Linking to Kathys Slow Stitching Sunday, Stitching Stuff, Oh Scrap, Handmade Monday, Sew & Tell, Design Wall Monday, Craftastic Monday, Monday This 'N That, Monday Musings, To Do Tuesday, Favorite Finish January

28 comments:

Anorina @SameliasMum said...

Wow, wow, wow! What a beautiful quilt Gretchen. I've only just begun my hand sewing journey and agree that it's easier on the hands than EPP.

The Cozy Quilter said...

Tula Pink has such an interesting and fun collection of fabrics and you have made a gorgeous quilt with them! This will be fun to quilt!

Connie Kauffman said...

Beautiful! That's a lot of handwork!

Kim said...

Tula Pink is filled with a myriad of vibrantly coloured and patterned hexies. Such a fun quilt!

Anonymous said...

I really love the bright happy quilt 😋. This will be a great quilt to grab on dreary days or when going into the hospital too! Love how you arranged your quilt for sure!

Kate said...

Very bright and fun! Congrats on getting it to a finished quilt top.

Donna said...

What a fun, happy quilt! Just what is needed during this dreary winter.

Linda said...

Wow Tula Hexies is a stunning quilt. It looks really pretty on that porch char. Nice work, and I love the black and white fabric on the edges!

Maggie said...

Dear Gretchen,

You have used theTula Pink fabric very creative in your hexie quilt top. It looks amazing. Very bright and beautiful.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I love hexies!

Sylvia@Treadlestitches said...

Such a lovely quilt, the colors are wonderful! I hand pieced a traditional Grandmother's Flower Garden before the current EPP craze, and liked just eyeballing the seams with no papers to worry about. It's a different kind of sewing than EPP.

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

That is a huge top all made by hand! WOW! It is gorgeous!

CathieJ said...

This is beautiful!

Karrin Hurd said...

Tula Hexies is beautiful! Great work!

Sarah said...

Ooo love those fabrics!

grammajudyb said...

It’s really stunning, Gretchen! I’m always in awe of hand pieced quilts!

Lin said...

What a lovely flimsy. xx

Hanne said...

What a beautiful quilt top Gretchen :-)

Rebecca Grace said...

This is delightful, Gretchen! In packing up my studio yesterday (sniff, sniff!) I rediscovered some large hexagons and equilateral triangles that I cut in a workshop with Kaffe Fassett and Brendan Mably several years ago. I never touched them after the workshop because I vehemently disliked the fabric combinations "the experts" were pushing on me in class, but maybe I'll pull them out and do something with them once I get settled in Florida.

Sara said...

These Tula prints are so whimsical, and they work really well as hexies. I like those striped ones in there. What really impresses me is that your hand pieced a quilt this large. Wow!!

Melva said...

What a beautiful piece of work. And all hand-pieced makes it that much more special and beautiful. Thank you for sharing in the Sew & Tell party.

Laura @ Our Grand Lives said...

Your handiwork is exquisite! I love the colors you chose, too! What a keepsake!

Angie said...

Gretchen - what a colorful set of hexies - sure to brighten any room! I am joining you from Slow Sunday Stitching - I am number 27 if you want to stop by for a visit!

Lynn C. said...

Hand piecing a hexie quilt sounds so much easier than using EPP. I made a top using diamond shaped paper templates. Left me uninterested in using EPP again but hand sewing sounds a lot more pleasurable. Thanks for sharing.

Marsha Cooper said...

hand sewing is nice and relaxing

Yvonne from Quilting Jetgirl said...

Congratulations on the getting this lovely quilt top hand pieced! I can see why it would be a favorite finish for you. :)

Sum of their Stories said...

This is beautiful, just my kind of patchwork but I am a bit confused when you say hand stitched and not EPP. I thought EPP was english paper piecing which is definitely hand sewn, at least it is when I do it! Is this a lost in translation across the pond kind of thing? How would you do EPP and not stitch it by hand? I love how this looks so if you have a clever way of doing it I'd love to know :-)

Joy from Days Filled With Joy said...

Oh wow, just stunning!!! You've done an amazing job!!! Thanks for sharing with us and for joining in on Monday This and That! Hope you have had a wonderful week! xx