I'm piecing Dresden Stars from a kit. The 18 dresden blocks are appliqued and trimmed. The next step is sashing, cornerstones and side triangles.
The sashing is a very pretty blue. The corner stones were supposed to be a little darker blue and the side triangles is this very pretty maroon/red print fabric.
I cut the maroon/red print into squares then laid the ruler on top to make the diagonal cuts. The pattern didn't run correctly if I cut triangles! You would see the rows run crooked. I'm not a perfectionist but crooked rows are something I do notice.
I dug around in my civil war tub and found this fabric. It was large enough to use for triangles with plenty leftover so I decided to use this same fabric for cornerstones. I thought the red was a better choice than the darker blue fabric.
But since the outside cornerstones would be against the triangles, I decided to use the darker blue fabric for those cornerstones.
I admit I wasn't very excited about this quilt but now I am. The blue sashing and the red triangles really bring that dreary beige fabric to life!Unfortunately using the darker blue fabric for the outside cornerstones was not a good decision. You can't even see that fabric in the above picture but the red at the points of the triangles distinctly show.
You can see the blue when you are closeup.
The next step of this quilt is supposed to be a narrow border around the center. That darker blue fabric was supposed to be the border.
I don't think so. I've been digging in my civil war fabric tub again and I've come up with a better choice of fabric.
In my quilt, the next border is not going to be a narrow border. Remember, I want my quilt to be bed sized, not a throw. As of now, the center is 59.5" by 77.5".
Edyta's pattern has us set the blocks on point which is what I did but I always cut the triangles larger so I have some room to play. The edge of triangles extend 1.75" from the outside points. I can trim some of that extra fabric to make pieced borders work. Now I just need to come up with a design. To make it more challenging, the side borders need to be wider than the top and bottom borders.
I took the picture of the quilt in the snow first. Those spots that show in the above picture come from melting ice dripping off the trees.
Click here for a link to the Dresden Star pattern designed by Edyta Sitar.
Linking to Midweek Makers, Wednesday Wait Loss, Needle & Thread Thursday, Put Your Foot Down, TGIFF!, Whoop Whoop Party, Finished or Not Friday, Off the Wall Friday, Beauty Pageant, Hugs & Kisses, Patchwork & Quilts