Sunday, February 11, 2024

Hearts & Wreaths

The applique blocks for Hearts & Wreaths are 14" finished. The bottom halves of the first row of blocks are completed. Here are closer up pictures of the blocks from the left side border to the right side border.








I've added a picture of the length of the quilt in the frame. Do you see how the diagonal lines of the background quilting of the blocks meet at the block side seams? That makes a design too. I really like the diagonal line for background quilting. I've never seen anyone else use this design but perhaps people think the 3/4" apart lines are too close.

Yes, it's going to be months before this quilt is finished but I'm enjoying myself and it's relaxing! 

I watch programs/movies on my Ipad while I stitch. First I binged watched this season of All Creatures on PBS.  Then it was all the episodes of Miss Marple on Brit Box, now I'm working through the Poirot episodes on Brit Box.

I normally spend at least 2 hours in the evening quilting.

My amaryllis bulbs have been slow to bloom this winter. This striped peppermint stick is the first one to bloom. It also has another bud which will be opening soon. 

I don't keep track of the color of each bulb after it  flowers so it's rather exciting to watch them slowly open and see what the flower looks like.

Linking to Kathys Slow Stitching Sunday, Stitching Stuff, Oh Scrap, Handmade Monday, Sew & Tell, Design Wall Monday, Craftastic Monday, Monday Musings, Monday This 'N That, To Do Tuesday

25 comments:

cityquilter grace said...

that is sooo gorgeous....i have loved and lusted after this pattern for a long time....i opted to make 4 blocks instead of a whole quilt tho...

Kate said...

The quilting is looking good. Sometimes we get so caught up in the finishing part of a project that we forget to enjoy the process of creating a quilt. It seems you've got that skill mastered. Happy stitching this week.

Michele McLaughlin said...

Gretchen it's looking amazing! I love this quilt!

Jill said...

A hand quilting is time consuming yet oh so relaxing. Thank you for mentioning the time you put into your quilting process. Watching quality series on BritBox is my recent past time. Love Hercule Poirot series. I’m spacing them out to savor. May I suggest taking a peak at Father Brown another English mystery with outside scenes filmed in a quaint village.

The Cozy Quilter said...

Such a beautiful hand quilting project! Savour every moment!

Anonymous said...

Dear Gretchen,

The quilting is lovely and yes it takes months. We watch series as well and usually is great fun doing so while quilting. Have a great weekend.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I've quilted up to a half inch apart but rarely - usually 3/4's to 1. It is a very pretty design. I did the double line once or twice and love the look.
That is a very pretty quilt

Karrin Hurd said...

Beautiful quilting. My 2 amaryllis haven't even started growing the leaves yet.

Sarah said...

Such a beautiful quilt, I love the quilting too!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

That is the most beautiful quilt, Gretchen! Your quilting is adding even more to it. I am sort of a primitive hand quilter, so definitely don't quilt as closely as you do, but I love the look of it!

CathieJ said...

I really like how you are quilting each block and how the design comes together at the seams. The border quilting is very pretty also. Enjoy your binge TV watching and your stitching.

Kim said...

I imagine gazing upon Hearts and Wreaths while you quilt is a joy. So much beauty in this quilt. Love all those gorgeous colours in the leaves and hearts. I've always loved diagonal background quilting on quilts.

Lin said...

Fascinating looking at all the different fabrics in your applique, such lovely bright colours and so much variety. I love the quilting. I am about to start some quilting and thinking about the design to use. I am very boring and always use 3/4" cross hatching, but I do love the finished effect. Maybe I should broaden my horizons! xx

Linda said...

The colors of this quilt are so pretty, and your quilting is just perfect.

Jeanne said...

Beautiful, Beautiful, Beautiful. What a project, and your workmanship is so good!

Raewyn said...

You are making beautiful progress Gretchen. I imagine there are lots of different memories in all the leaves of this quilt!

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

Those diagonal lines make that wreath spin! Your quilting is beautiful and the speed at which you make progress is impressive!

Allison said...

Thank you for sharing. I always enjoy seeing the way you are quilting your projects. Such a wonderful to enhance the applique shapes.

Jenny said...

As always, so stunning.

time4stitchn said...

It's lovely to see a photo of your applique quilt from a distance. Of course, the quilting is amazing in all your views, too. Your amaryllis is such a beautiful color!

Angie said...

Gretchen - your applique is so neatly done - impressive! And thanks for showing the macro view of the quilt so we can see the "big picture". I think the quilting is very attractive and complements the quilt. And wow, that amaryllis flower is stunning - very aptly named as peppermint stick! Thanks for your recent visit to my blog and your kind comments!

dq said...

This has to be a prize winning quilt! I love that you are hand quilting it! Your stitches and applique' look beautiful!

Joy from Days Filled With Joy said...

It's just beautiful Gretchen! I love all the different colorful fabrics you've used and your hand quilting is amazing! Great idea to go through tv series while you are quilting - two hours each night - no wonder you get so much done! xx

Joy from Days Filled With Joy said...

and forgot again - thanks for joining in on Monday This and That!! xx

Brenda @ Songbird Designs said...

Gretchen your hand quilting is just amazing! This is going to be one treasure when it is completed! Thanks for linking up with Monday Musings.