Sunday, January 7, 2024

And the Quilting Begins!

Hearts & Wreaths wasn't in the hand quilting frame by January 1 but the 5th was pretty close! Marking a quilt just takes a long time, at least it does for me.

There is a quilting motif going in the corners of the blocks. This motif is called Feather Design. I'm not sure where I purchased it, but you can order it from The Stencil Company, #586. The stencil I'm using is 6.5".  

The 2nd motif is Heart block and I purchased it at Yoder Department Store. This stencil can be purchased at EZ Mark Stencils and is #166A. It is also a 6.5" stencil.

Here is a close up of the corner after being marked. I'm lightly marking with a silver marking pencil. I did take a picture of the pencil but that disappeared to wherever pictures disappear to in cyber land.

This diagonal design is used in the background of the applique blocks. It doesn't have a name but is identified as SCL-268-16. It is 16" and was purchased from The Stencil Co. I've used this as a background in another quilt but I can't think which one right now. The diagonal lines are 3/4" apart.


The last several years I have been using my Grace quilting frame to hand quilt but I've never been satisfied with the side tension. That is why I've decided to put Hearts & Wreaths into the old sticks and stands frame, that is my own name for this type of frame.

This is how you start. The 4 stands in the corner, the shorter 72" sticks are on the stands, the longer 108" sticks on top. 


I measured the center of the long sticks and pinned the backing fabric in place. Next is to layer the batting on top of the backing fabric. I'm using a Hobbs 80/20 cotton/poly batting. I have used wool batting for the last several quilts I've hand quilted, this time I decided to use cotton. Why, because I felt like it.


Obviously the quilt top goes on top of the batting. The center of the stick is marked on the stick. The selvage is on the long sides of the quilt top. You can see the horizontal line which will be the edge of the quilt. The selvage will be cut off when the quilt is trimmed for binding.


You can see in the above picture the stick fabric is attached by tacks approximately 1.5" apart. I've quilted on sticks that had the fabric attached farther apart. I'm fussy about tension so I tacked mine closer.


Hearts & Wreaths has been pinned onto the batting. This is a side view.


I'm going to start quilting this long side. My Grace frame wasn't long enough to stitch large quilts on the long side. Quilting on the short side adds bulk to the roll and in that type of frame, the whole quilt is rolled on the roller.



Hearts & Wreaths measures 82.5" by 96". Instead of using longer side sticks, I used the 72" sticks. The 20 blocks in the center of Hearts & Wreaths are set 4 by 5. I've started quilting on the long side of the opposite side of this picture. When I've rolled in 3 rows, I'll reset the quilt to quilt the final side. That is months away though but I'll show you the process when it happens.

I'm sure most of you are unfamiliar with this type of frame. Putting a quilt in this frame is a LOT faster than the Grace frame. I don't have to roll back and forth a bunch of times!

I'm using white YLI brand hand quilting thread which I purchased at Yoder Department store for $8.50 a spool. YLI Thread can also be purchased from Red Rock Threads if you can't find it at a store close to you.


Here are my quilting tools, ready for the start!


All leaves will be stitched in the ditch. I'm also stitching along one side of the black embroidered vine.


The first corner is quilted! The space in between the double lines is 1.75". I may insert a single line of quilting in between each double line. I don't think the wider space will look right since the diagonal lines in the center blocks are to be quilted 3/4" apart. There is going to be a LOT of quilting on this quilt.

I've been on a break from hand quilting since I finished Lady Jane last July. I'm ready to go again!


DMC quilting needles have been my go to quilting needle for over 45 years! Last winter I wrote that DMC is not manufacturing quilting needles anymore. My friend Diane sent me this package of S. Thomas & Sons quilting needles. As you can read, this is the brand she has used for years.

I was quilting Lady Jane with the DMC needles I had on hand and decided to save the Thomas needles for the next quilt. This is the next quilt and were used in the above picture. Diane was right, they stitch great! I googled the name and here is where I'll be ordering them from.


People always wonder how long it takes to hand quilt a quilt. It depends on how much quilting is stitched on the quilt. I'm hoping to have this quilt finished by December but you never know, it may be longer! It will take as long as it takes, and quilting can't be rushed.

Blogger decided to center the typing on this blog today, why, I don't know. Blogger also does not allow me to respond to comments, they used to but no longer. Again, why? I don't know. I will try to remember to answer questions in my next post about Hearts & Wreaths.

Someone is sure to remark that they think quilting in a frame would be awkward. I've always quilted in a frame, that is what I'm used to. It's not better than using a hoop if that is how you hand quilt, it's just the way I learned to quilt. 

26 comments:

Kim said...

And so Hearts and Wreaths is ready for your amazing quilting, Gretchen. I'm going to enjoy watching the progress of this gorgeous quilt throughout the year. As a hoop hand quilter, I'm fascinated by both frames. I'm off to see your post re your finished Lady Jane. Somehow I missed seeing her in all her glory.

Karla (ThreadBndr) said...

It's going to be glorious. I am always amazed by your quilting, Gretchen. Thanks for the overview of how to set up a quilt in this type of frame.

linda said...

It's going to be amazing the blocks are beautiful I'm looking forward to seeing how it progresses. Have a great Sunday.

CathieJ said...

Blogger tends to left align all of my writing and I have to go back and center them. I am not having any trouble with comments thanfully, except that a few people cant use their name. I am looking forward to watching your hand quilting progress on this gorgeous quilt.

The Cozy Quilter said...

I attended three Beaver Island quilt retreats and Gwen Marston used a similar type of quilting frame. This quilt is amazing even before you quilt it!

Angela said...

That quilt is stunning!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I have seen a frame something like this at a historic museum I believe it was and they had several people demonstrating quilting but I have never used one. I have never used the silver pencil to mark do the lines just rub out?

Linda said...

Your hand quilting is beautiful. I love Red Rock Threads - probably heard of it first on your blog.

Lea Anne Brummett said...

The quilting designs you chose are perfect. Looking forward to watching this quilt come to life.

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

Hearts and Wreaths looks gorgeous on the frame. Yes, it takes as long as it takes when it comes to quilting! Your choices of motifs for the various areas are sure going to enhance this project!

Karrin Hurd said...

Gorgeous quilt, thanks for showing your process for setting it on the frame.

Scrapatches said...

This is sew beautiful. Thank you for sharing. Hugs & Stitches ... :) Pat

scraphappy said...

Such an exciting phase as you get ready for the quilting. Preparation is key to make sure that everything is just as you like it.

Florida Farm Girl said...

I can't even imagine the commitment to hand quilting something that would take a year. Your sticks and stands frame reminds me of Mama's sticks hanging from the ceiling. I so enjoy your posts.

Jenny said...

Thank you for showing the intricacies of getting your quilt on the frame. Thequi,t is gorgeous and I'll enjoy seeing our progress. I dont know anyone here who uses a quilting frame, guessyou would need plenty of room to have one set up at home.

Robin said...

I love that you're hand quilting this lovely quilt. It does take a long time but it's so worth it for the nice effect it gives a home made quilt. I quilt in a floor or hand hoop once in a while but I'm always ready to get back to the regular frame.

Lin said...

Lovely to see your process Gretchen. As I know nothing about - and have no interest in - those big machines and their frames, your frame is all I think of when I think of quilt frames. With lots of ladies sitting round! I have never had space for one so always quilt in a hoop which I find convenient. Funny you using English needles - I use the Clover black ones from Japan which, having tried lots, I find my favourite. Nothing beats hand quilting. I have a top waiting for the right backing fabric and then I shall be off again. Have fun. xx

T Holzer said...

Not many quilts are sewn like this any longer and it will be an absolute treasure! It makes me yearn for the days past when there were quilting bees and women would get together and teach the younger generation how to do this! I'd love to be taught, but its not a thing in my area any more...the long arm has long since taken over. I'll watch your quilting progress and that will have to do!

Kate said...

That's going to be a lot of hand stitching, but it's going to be so worth it!

Auntie Em said...

So lovely to see handquilting. I tried it when I first started out, but never got the hang of it. I'm very impressed when I see it.

cityquilter grace said...

i use s. thomas needles as well...tried many others but these are my favorite and sturdy....lovely quilt.

Esme Slabbert said...

Oh wow this will be such an awesome project and I am sure you will enjoy every moment. Cannot wait to see the final product.
I visited you via Sum of Their Stories: Handmade Monday #356
My links: Baking Conversion Charts and Magical Romany Cream Delights. We will be honored if you share your links with us at SeniorSalonPitStop. Link under BLOGGING.

time4stitchn said...

Thanks for the detailed steps to get your quilt ready for hand quilting. I know how to hand quilt, but have never taken on that long term project. I never even finished the 2nd wall hanging I made. I guess I would rather quilt by check book and continue the machine piecing or hand applique, which I do enjoy.
Now that I am retired, I have more time, but not the space. I love to see your process and will be delighted to cheer you on as you progress.

greaterexp said...

How thrilling it is to see this gorgeous quilt top begin its hand quilting phase!

I'm a hoop quilter, myself, though I did hand quilt in a frame like yours with my group. I still find quilting in a hoop easier for me, since I tend to quilt toward me or to the left and can turn the hoop to accommodate that style. I admire anyone who can push that needle any direction!

Thank you for posting your progress with this stunning quilt!

Chopin - A Passionate Quilter said...

This is an interesting looking quilting frame, Gretchen. Of course I’ve never seen one or used one but I am curious do you have a roller where you roll it and when you roll it, do you have to unpin pen and re pin for the tension. Interesting and of course your quilt is absolutely beautiful. This is a quilt that I want to work on in the next year or so. Of course, I have to get my thumb working correctly and hopefully I will be able to still hand quilt. I am doing fine. I can now touch my index finger and my third finger with my thumb. Out of the cast, and have been in a splint for the last two weeks.. I feel I’m doing very well with this recovery, but still have a month of physical therapy. I believe I’m doing well because I’ve had started working exercises from the day. I got home after the surgery. Anyway, a little update. I’m hoping to try to do a post on my blog sometime today or maybe tomorrow. I am dictating this one because I have done my exercises and have this splint back on and it’s not fun to type with it on. Looking forward to the day when you finish Quilting this beautiful quilt. You do such beautiful work. Have a great day. Hugs.

Brenda @ Songbird Designs said...

Beautiful quilt. I look forward to seeing you progress with the hand quilting on this beauty!! Thanks for linking up with Monday Musings!