Thursday, January 11, 2024

Dresden Stars and a Table Runner

I've started this year off resolving to stick to my list and not be tempted by squirrels! Since the Dresden Stars plates have been pieced, I'm starting with this project.

The next step in this process is to applique the plates onto the background fabric. In the pattern, Edyta tells us what size to cut the background fabric. She didn't add any fabric in to be trimmed. I don't sew like that, I have to have a little extra so I can trim. 

The fabrics used in this quilt are from a kit I purchased a long time ago, they are no longer available. I measured the back ground fabric several times to make sure there was enough fabric for me to cut a little bigger. There was, I did and it was okay!

I'm not going to hand applique these plates. They are to be machine appliqued and the first block is sewn, just 17 more to do!

Edyta said to use invisible thread but I'm done trying to use that stuff. I'm using a variegated brown thread with small zigzag stitching on the outer edge. It does show some but I can live with it. The center circles will be appliqued after the dresdens are all stitched, then the blocks will be trimmed to the correct size.

Remember how I said I was going to stick to the list with no squirrels? I have a friend who has asked me to make a table runner for her, I said yes. It shouldn't take that long but this means the dresdens will have to wait longer.

Calico Point was open on New Years Day so Nathalie and I went fabric shopping. I asked her what color fabrics she wanted and she said BLUE!!!! Be still my heart! Really, she did say blue without any prompting from me!

I took a picture of the fabrics for you to see. 

Linking to To Do Tuesday, Midweek Makers, Wednesday Wait LossPut Your Foot Down, Needle & Thread ThursdayWhoop Whoop Party, Finished or Not  Friday, Off the Wall FridayPatchwork & Quilts

21 comments:

Linda said...

I really like your first Dresden star, that's a neat pattern. I'm impressed with the scrappiness of it. Those yellows and blue fabrics are so pretty together!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I have the Shooting Star accuquilt die by Edyta - it looks like that one, I haven't gotten it out to make yet.

Jennifer Fulton Inquiring Quilter said...

That Dresden Star is going to be gorgeous. I recently tried Aurifil invisible with cotton in the bobbin and liked it, but your solution is perfect! That brown mostly disappears and must be so easy to work with. Lovely fabrics you've chosen for the table runner. I just adore yellow and blue, don't you? Thanks for sharing on my weekly show and tell, Wednesday Wait Loss.
https://www.inquiringquilter.com/questions/2024/01/10/wednesday-wait-loss-362

Jenny said...

Even without the centre yet, the Dresden Star looks most impressive!

cityquilter grace said...

well of course she said blue...i would too! very pretty indeed

Connie said...

I'm very impressed, you inspire me to try new and more difficult patterns.

Lin said...

Oh I do love those gorgeous fabrics for the table runner!. Nice work on your Dresden and pretty backing fabric. xx

Kathi Clower said...

I’m joining you on the goal of avoiding squirrels and staying focused on projects at hands PAH’s!!! lol Better than PIGS! He he

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

Be still MY heart as I so love Dresdens. Yours are so beautiful. I've never found invisible thread to work for me either though I badly wanted it to. And a gorgeous palate for your friend's project too, Gretchen. Happy New Year Stitching!

Scrapatches said...

Your Dresdens are progressing beautifully. I love the fabrics and colors for you friend's table runner, Looking forward to seeing what you sew with these ... :) Pat

time4stitchn said...

Your blues and yellows are exquisite. I know how you like them so. It will make for a fun and happy project. I have done ok with monofilament thread, but I have also sought suggestions from my thread shop. ( Sewers Aide drops along spool to ease release.) I prefer cotton thread most of the time, though.

Chopin - A Passionate Quilter said...

Love the blues and yellow. The Dresden blocks will really make a pretty quilt. Hugs

Gwyned Trefethen said...

Your piecing of the Dresden Stars is immaculate. I'm not a big fan of invisible thread either. Your choice of a variegated brown thread is perfect.

quiltingbydawn said...

Your Dresden Stars are going to be beautiful! Squirrels are always a problem! Those little pesky creatures! 🤣

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

Pretty Dresden Stars, the brown thread looks great, and I love the background fabric. Great resolution to stick to your list, and I'm sure the extra table runner will take no time for you to make ;) Lovely fabrics, she is a true friend for picking your color!
Thank you for sharing ;)

Karen S said...

The dresden looks good. I think you have to go your own way when it comes to block size and stitching. You want to enjoy doing it.

dq said...

I really love the folded insert triangle spikes between the dresdon wedges. I am making a similar star block and have been pondering adding folded inserts. This is inspiring to me.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Very cool dresdens!!
Stick to you list - you can do it!!

Anonymous said...

I really like the zigzag around the dresdens. This is going to be a beautiful quilt!
Libby M.

Raewyn said...

The wee zig-zag around the Dresden is just fine and with 18 to do, I'm not surprised you chose this route! It will be a lovely quilt. Hope you're having fun playing with the blue squirrel whoops table runner.

Chookyblue...... said...

oh I love the dresden plate........