Another project that made progress at retreat were the String X blocks. I sewed the dark red triangles onto the scrappy rectangles.
Each individual blocks measures 7.25" because I messed up and cut the red triangles 5" instead of 5.5". It really does make a difference!
I'll add red borders when the center is sewn together. Two red fabrics were used from my mom's stash. All of the darker red is gone, a different darker red was used for the rest of the blocks.
Now I need to sew the individual blocks into larger blocks using 4 blocks.
String X is a free Bonnie Hunter pattern. I did not use paper to piece the string rectangles, I used old thin muslin.