Wednesday, February 10, 2021

Back to the 30's!

When I last posted about the 3030 quilt I had 55 blocks pieced. Even though this project has been out of sight, it hasn't been out of mind and I know how I'm going to finish it.

The first step was a no brainer, I pieced one more block so the blocks will be set 7 blocks by 8 blocks.

The next decision was how to set the blocks, straight set or diagonal set. There are more blocks than are on the display wall but you get the idea.

I'm going with the KISS method for finishing so straight set it is.



I had been planning all along to put sashing in between the blocks, no way was I going to try to sew block next to block, just way too many seams.

I toyed with the idea of using a light blue fabric for sashing with yellow cornerstones but decided against that and went with the blue background fabric. This way the blocks float.

For the finale, I added a 6.5" border which will finish at 6". The flimsy measures 60.5" by 67.5". Now I need to decide hand quilting or machine, 3030 is back to time out again while I think about it.

The 3030 quilt was a BOW from Sentimental Stitches. Gay provided both instructions for regular piecing or a foundation paper piecing pattern. All of my blocks were foundation paper pieced. I did not applique the applique blocks.

We got snow when the big snowstorm went across the US several weeks ago but nothing like the northeast states did. The snow has to go somewhere so when the farmer cleans out the driveway, he pushes a pile in the yard north of my kitchen.

This makes a good mountain to climb. He's only 4 so I'm sure it feels like he's scaled Mount Everest!

In the winter the cows can lounge in the free stalls in the shed or eat balage from the hay feeder in the shed lot. Sometimes they stand outside, lazily chewing their cud with their eyes shut. I'm sure they are dreaming about long summer days and nights in the bottom pasture.

Linking to Midweek Makers, Clever Chameleon, Wednesday Wait LossNeedle & Thread Thursday, Put Your Foot Down

10 comments:

Created by Kathi said...

I love this flimsy and how you set it in the end! Your grandson looks like he is really enjoying himself being king of the mountain of snow too! Thanks for sharing that! Kathi

Julierose said...

What a beautiful flimsy--nice work hugs, Julierose

Ray and Jeanne said...

Love how you have the blocks floating. Gorgeous top! ~Jeanne

Yvonne said...

That straight setting is great with your same colour sashing and borders, it really makes the blocks take centre stage. A lovely quilt

Lynette said...

What a gorgeous deeper blue to set those on! I'm sure his little eyes do see a huge mountain - it certainly is no small pile to start with. :)

Jayne said...

Beautiful quilt! The blocks are all gorgeous!

PaintedThread said...

Lovely quilt! I like that you stuck with the dark blue throughout - the floating blocks are perfect.

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

Oh, your final layout is lovely, and now you have a beautiful top!

Jennifer Fulton Inquiring Quilter said...

Such a beautiful finish! Great choices. Love that blue. Thanks for sharing on Wednesday Wait Loss.

Raewyn said...

Another beautiful flimsy finish. I love the shade of blue you've used and I'm liking 'floating' sampler style quilts more and more these days. Your cows look very relaxed - I guess they become acclimatised and I guess their combined body heat keeps them warm in the barn?