Today's post is not about normal hand applique, it's about what happens before the applique starts.
Prepping Tree of Life is going to be a tedious process but once it's completed, I'll be able to keep appliqueing without stopping to do more prep.
I washed my fabrics in HOT water. Washing is a deceptive word though, never throw your fabrics into a washer to wash them. I put them into a pan of HOT water and swish them around. I keep changing the water until no dye comes out. Not all of the fabrics bled but the red definitely did. After I'm done washing them, I squeeze most of the water out then take them onto the porch, hang on the metal furniture and let them drip. Once they're done dripping, they are carried to the basement and hung on a clothes rack to finish drying.
After they were dry, I heavily sprayed them with starch then left them to dry. Once the starch is dry, they are ready to be pressed. Once they're pressed, the freezer paper designs can be ironed onto them.
I'm not going to recommend any certain starch, you use whatever starch you want to use! I've learned over the years that starch brand is a controversial subject.
The original fabrics have the pieces to be appliqued stamped onto the back side of the fabric, the pieces are even numbered to show you the order to applique. You do need to make sure you turn the edge enough that the stamping ink does not show on the outside.
When I prep applique pieces, I normally leave a larger 'turn-under' edge than what this shows, I won't be placing my pieces as close together as they show here.
After the pieces are cut out of the freezer paper, I ironed them onto the back of the new fabric.
I cut around the pieces making sure there is 'turn under' fabric.
I will have to do some trimming on the applique pieces before they're appliqued. I even wrote the numbers on the back of the pieces, just like the originals were.
My fabrics aren't an exact match for the fabrics from the kit but they're close enough. I know it looks like the new brown fabric has lines in it, it doesn't, it's a solid brown Kona fabric. All the pieces needed for this fabric have been prepped and are bagged together along with the original fabric.
This is a long process but I'm going to have a beautiful quilt when I'm finished. Remember, I'm planning to spend New Year's Day starting the applique on this quilt. I had better get more of the fabric prepped, January 1 is just 4 months away!
14 comments:
OhmyWord! How Gorgeous!! And I love the flowers! Waiting for Fall...
hugs
Donna
Prepping for appliqué is an important step in the process and you have it down to a science. This quilt pattern is gorgeous! Gail at the cozy quilter
Gorgeous flowers. Starching makes all the difference doesn't it. xx
That is quite a prep process, Gretchen; good luck getting that applique all ready for the 1st of the year...that pattern is really lovely...
hugs, julierose
Oh là là, Tree of Life is a gorgeous pattern! Are you going to prepare all the appliqué before starting to stitch them? Your flowers are lovely, love this vibrant pink! Thank you for sharing your process and linking up.
Yes, i want to prepare all the applique pieces before I start the applique. This way I can just keep going with out more prep.
One man's "boring" is another man's "Oooh--tell me more!!"
Carolyn
I have SunPatients in my bucket out front this year also and they've been successful as well. Your applique--wow.
The fuchsia flowers are gorgeous! I'm a big planner/'prepper' of quilts. I think it makes a big difference in the result. Your project will have as much time in the prepping as the actual appliqué and it will be beautiful!
Such gorgeous flowers! All of that prep work certainly plays a big part in the stunning finishes you have made. Thanks for sharing the process!
Gorgeous quilt! I don't do applique (by hand), but I do understand the importance of prepping all the pieces before starting. Thank you for sharing the process. Beautiful flowers in your garden.
Beautiful quilt. I look forward to seeing it come to life! Your impatiens are stunning! They remind me of my Mama. She had a very green thumb and loved flowers. I love the backings for both as well. Thanks for sharing with us at Monday Musings!
I just washed a finished quilt and the red bled. I thought I made all the precations but evidently I missed something. The weird thing is that of the 18 large white squares, only two of them absorbed some of the dye. I was sure I had used the same fabric for all 18 squares. Having the colors bleed is always such a disappointment so your comments about washing till the water turns clear is deffinitely good advice.
I think that is a wise way to wash the fabric. I noticed that Sue at "From Small Stitches" (utube) does the same process, especially with reds. This will be a lovely quilt when it is finished! Enjoy the process! PS...Love the flowers, didn't see them here this year but will look for them next year! Hugs!
Post a Comment