Friday, July 29, 2022

Triple Treat or Kitty Corner?

Bonnie Hunter's new Leader & Enders project has started named Triple Treat. I was excited when I saw this pattern, mainly because it has no HST's!

I thought I made this same pattern 22 years ago when I found the pattern in the January/February 2000 issue of Fons & Porter magazine, For the Love of Quilting. I used that pattern to make a college quilt for son 2. I know how long it's been because he graduated from high school in 1999.

After comparing the two patterns, I realized it's not the same design at all. They both utilize 4 patches but they're not the same. Kitty Corner has more 4 patches which means I'd use more of the 2" and 2" strips!

Triple Treat has diagonal chains in both directions white Kitty Corner has only 1 diagonal chain.

Kitty Corner calls for 2" squares while Triple Treat uses 1.5" squares.

I'll have to decide which pattern I'm going to use but for now piecing has started on the twosies. I've decided to make my quilt in blues and close cousins of blues. I might change my mind but I'll decide that later.

Linking to Put Your Foot Down, Needle & Thread Thursday, Peacock Party, TGIFF!, Finished Or Not Friday, Off the Wall Friday, Patchwork & Quilts

10 comments:

Katie said...

Oh, Gretchen. Both look fun! You're making me want to sit at my sewing machine! Enjoy your stitching :)

Chopin - A Passionate Quilter said...

Interesting how we can change one aspect of a quilt pattern and it makes a difference! Enjoy whichever one you do. Hugs

Jenny said...

It's always exciting go start a new project, I'll be watching along to see how this one evolves.

Margaret said...

I've been cutting up fabric for my Scrap User's System (using Bonnie's guidelines) and am looking forward to doing this project too. I used up a good number of 1 1/2" squares in an earlier project so have had to replenish from my scrap bin -- but there's no rush, and I don't worry about the 1-year time-line. It's just good to have a new pattern to work on!

Sylvia@Treadlestitches said...

Good luck deciding, that's always the hardest part! I'm sure your quilt will be scrappy and awesome.

Gwyned Trefethen said...

My favorite line in you post: "make my quilt in blues and close cousins of blues." Looks like a fun project.

Ivani said...

You have already beautiful blues and cousin colors, Gretchen.
Great start! Looking forward to seeing which project you will make

Leanne Parsons said...

Those blues are all lovely!

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

What fun this one will be!

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

Lovely start! It's going to be a pretty quilt, whatever the pattern you chose. Thank you for sharing ❤️