Friday, July 15, 2022

Indian Hatchet

The Indian Hatchet blocks have been sewn into a flimsy. I love this quilt!

A variety of light fabrics were used as the background. They seem to give a yellow tint in some places.

Most of the corners are triangles left from flippy corners or from mitering binding.

The little blocks finish at 2" so there are a lot of side seams. I cut a 1.5" red border to add a stop to all the happy scrappiness and to keep the seams from unsewing.  

The flimsy measures 67" by 83". I'm going to be keeping this one. This quilt is as improv and modern as I get.

I first posted about this project in June 2020 when I was calling these blocks the nameless blocks. 

If you go back and read the June 2020 post, you'll see that I didn't originally plan to make Indian Hatchet blocks. 

The original idea was to sew a scrap triangle on one corner of the background fabric. The plan at that time was to use the Remainders pattern from Amanda Jean Nyberg's book, No Scrap Left Behind. (Here is a link to Amanda's blog when the book was first published. If you scroll down the post, you'll see her Remainders quilt.)

The Remainders quilt is nice but, for me, it was just too much background fabric and not enough color. I decided to make a change to my block and I'm very glad I did!

I've used a lot of bonus triangles in this quilt but there are still a lot left in the box! Someday another bonus triangle quilt might be pieced, but not right away.

Linking to Stitch Sew & Show, Peacock Party, TGIFF!, Finished Or Not Friday, Off the Wall Friday, Patchwork & Quilts, Oh Scrap, Favorite Monthly Finish

21 comments:

maggie fellow said...

it looks great - I am glad you changed it up a bit.

Angela said...

That is a gorgeous quilt!

Nancy @ Grace and Peace Quilting said...

What a fabulous quilt, Gretchen!!!

Ray and Jeanne said...

I love how this turned out! That had to use up a lot of leftover corners and looks great. ~Jeanne

Chopin - A Passionate Quilter said...

Such a bright and Cheery quilt Gretchen. Beautiful finish and glad that you will be keeping it!!! Hugs

Nann said...

How sparkly!

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Oh it is wonderful!!! all that color!!!!

quiltingbydawn said...

Beautiful quilt! So many small scrap blocks...pretty amazing!

Leanne Parsons said...

I love the glorious scrappiness of it! Congratulations on getting it all put together :)

Rebecca in AK said...

I love the glorious scrappiness of this quilt! So fun too! And a great way to use up all this extra triangles.

chrisknits said...

What a wonderful scrappy piece! I must admit I could never be so modern, I would end up trying to even up the blocks. LOL

grammajudyb said...

I have a start, only a start, on the Remainder quilt! It’s a bit more fiddle-y than I originally thought! I may deviate and do something different! I’m “thinking “!
Yours turned out great and I love the bit of yellow sparkle!

Jenny said...

Wonderful. Congratulations on taming all those tiny pieces!

Ivani said...

It is a beautiful scrap quilt Gretchen. Great use of all those bonus triangles.

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

Beautiful top and what a journey it has had! What a great way to use all those "bonus" triangles!!!

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

Wow! What a great way to use up those triangles. Your scrappy quilt is amazing. Thanks for sharing with Oh Scrap!

Grams Jean said...

Great use of bitty pieces!

gayle said...

Happy scrappiness! Scrappy happiness!
Love it!

Kathy S. said...

It's beautiful. You caught me off guard when I clicked on the photo of a quilt I liked on my reading list. I didn't even realize that it was your work. This is very improv for you -- but beautiful none the less. I can't wait to see how you quilt this one, Gretchen. Way to use up those little pieces. Thank you for all of the links.

adriene8 said...

Not sure what you mean by the word "flimsy". Could you explain?

Carol said...

I love it! I may have to borrow your idea for a charity quilt bee block! Thanks for sharing.