Friday, July 8, 2022

Indian Hatchet Blocks

Another UFQ is the Indian Hatchet blocks that have been sewn as leaders/enders. I'm tired of this project and ready to have it finished. I counted how many more blocks I needed for an 8 by 10 block setting. Then I took that number and multiplied by 16 because there are 16 little blocks in one block.

After I  sew the odd triangles onto the 2.5" background square and press them, they get trimmed to size. Then the background triangle is trimmed off the back. 

Those triangles I threw in the trash. I wasn't struck by lightning and the quilt police didn't come smashing into my house to arrest me for wasting those corners! 

Four squares are sewn into into a small block. 

And then those 4 blocks are sewn into the larger block.

Now I have the 80 blocks I need. Next is to trim all the blocks to 8.5" then arrange them on the display floor.

Most of these triangles are leftovers from one project or another but I do admit to taking a few odd sized scraps and cutting them into triangles to add some zing colors.

Linking to  Needle & Thread Thursday, Peacock Party, TGIFF!, Finished Or Not Friday, Off the Wall Friday, Patchwork & Quilts, Oh Scrap

13 comments:

grammajudyb said...

What a fun quilt these little hatchet blocks will make! I love looking at all your varied fabrics!

Elizabeth V Kelbaugh said...

Lovely use of scraps and small pieces. Glad you have enough blocks made. All progress is good.

Chopin - A Passionate Quilter said...

Fun project to work on and one you are probably glad to be finished with! LOL. Hugs

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

That's going to look great!!!
and glad that lightening didn't strike !!!

Jenny said...

Oh no, string piecing on a 2.5in square, much too fiddly for me. But you were certainly up for the challenge, well done!

Sylvia@Treadlestitches said...

Great job recycling those little bits into colorful scrappy blocks!

Rebecca Grace said...

I'd never heard of the Indian Hatchets block before. They do look cheerful laid out together!

Grams Jean said...

Looks like you are having fun with your fabrics. It will be fun to see what you make with these.

karenbbsnow said...

They look great. I know the feeling, it's so hard to just throw out those little triangles !!

gayle said...

Yeah, even I would have thrown out those little corners, and I save EVEYTHING...
(And now I'm adding another quilt to my to-do list)

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

Pretty blocks, it's going to be a colorful quilt! Love the neutral center to unifie, and love the small green flowers too ;)

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Those make a fun design, and I love seeing all the scraps you're using! I know that feeling of getting tired of making the blocks and you just want to finish it up!

Bonnie said...

Good for you for working on a UFO. The end (or at least a top) is in sight.