Tuesday, April 5, 2022

The Grand Canyon & Around Phoenix

During my trip to Arizona, we spent a day at the Grand Canyon. This was my 2nd visit and I have seen .002% of the whole beautiful place. 

Photos don't even begin to described the beauty and size of the canyon! 

We walked paths for several hours and of course I took some pictures. I'm not one of these people who walks to the very edge and take photos so you won't be viewing edge pictures on this blog.

Just so you know, Blogger won't let me rearrange the pictures in order. 

There were elk wondering around the trails. They weren't afraid of people at all. We saw a large group dozing in the shade of some trees.

Another wonderful photo of the canyon.

There were a lot of this kind of tree blooming in Phoenix. They smelled so sweet!

Now we're back to the canyon again.

The elk just wondered around and ignored the people. We didn't try to pet them. I didn't see anyone try it but I wouldn't be surprised if some people do.



Here are some random pictures of flowers around Phoenix. The above picture is something blooming. I think my daughter said it was Agave but I don't remember for sure. Bougainvillea is still blooming. 




And another picture of the canyon.

My daughter had a work event she needed to attend in Flagstaff on Friday.  

We did visit one fabric store in Flagstaff on Thursday evening, Odegaard's Sewing Center.

A very nice store but $15/yard for fabric was out of  my price range. They had a wonderful selection of native fabrics but I wasn't going to pay that much for any kind of fabric.

I found some treasures on the marked down shelf that were more my price range.

I took all the fabric that was on the bolt of the autumn leaf fabric and a yard of the green/gold fabric. One third yard of the red was purchased for a future quilt project that uses a variety of reds. Red is one fabric I don't have a lot of. Are you surprised I didn't buy any blue fabrics? There weren't any on the marked down shelf.

Odegard's wasn't downtown with the other stores so we stopped there on our way into Flagstaff. We spent the night at an inn. While she attended her event, I played tourist.

I'm not a very good tourist. I browsed through a lot of stores. I had a lovely lunch at Collin's Pub but mostly I enjoyed myself by sitting on a bench by the old train station soaking up the sunshine and rays. I will say though, if you get to Flagstaff, you need to buy some ice cream at the Sweet Shoppe Candy Store. I'm not the ice cream fanatic my husband is but I do enjoy ice cream when the temperature is in the 80's. 

I go for a lot of walks when I'm in Phoenix. I like to walk along the canal and view the painted privacy walls.

I didn't remember this painting from when I visited in December. Just now, looking at the photo, I see the artist signed 2022 under her name so it wasn't there in December.

* * * * Update, my daughter has sharper eyes than I do. She says the date is 2021 so it was there in December. Oh well. It's still pretty!


I don't know what kind of bird this is beside the cactus flowers. I bet it sings a lovely song this time of year.

19 comments:

Linda said...

I loved this photo tour! I've been to the Grand Canyon a couple of times, and I could go every year and not get enough of it. I loved Flagstaff and wanted to move there in the 1980s - lol! $15/yard IS pretty steep. You scored some great fabric, and I really like that red. I like to just sit or hike instead of touring myself, especially in places like Arizona and New Mexico.
Thank you for sharing your post with To Do Tuesday!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I have a feeling fabric will be going up to $15 a yard all over the place soon - I saw a lot like that in Branson when I was there last week and some on line shops have it priced high too - we have been getting it at good prices for years that we are now getting a taste of what others have paid for years. I have never been to Phoenix in the spring that must be such a change then in the fall when I have been there. I think I have one of those fabrics that you show that came in a bundle a couple years ago - the bottom one in your short stack.

Vicki in MN said...

So have you been to Mulqueens in the Phoenix area, their fabric is always a lot less, I hear it is older fabrics. I haven't been there, had hoped to get there this year but nope didn't happen. Arizona is a beautiful country isn't it.

Ray and Jeanne said...

I haven't been to the Grand Canyon in years and it was fun to see your pictures. Thanks! I admire your reserve at the fabric store. When I began sewing MANY years ago, fabric was cheap. I guess it must be in much greater demand now but $15 a yard is a lot. Well, $12.50, the going rate around here, is a lot too. ~Jeanne

grammajudyb said...

Thanks for the photo tour! We were at the Grand Canyon this time of year about 3 years ago and it was "cold". We did not do a lot of exploring. I think we will find that fabric prices will rise in the coming months. Cotton prices are up ( not for the grower, I'm sure) and transportation costs are rising, gas etc. It is inevitable!
I miss going to the SW in the winter or spring. Our son has moved, so we won't be going again I am sure.

Cheree @ The Morning Latte said...

A lovely vacay! Glad you were able to go!

Florida Farm Girl said...

Hi there. The bird on the mural is a verdin. Saw tons of them when we were near Phoenix for two months recently. Unfortunately, the cost of fabric is going to keep going up. I'm trying to use my stash whenever possible. Let's face it, I'll never use it all up in my lifetime. I had never been to the South Rim until a couple of years ago. When we left Arizona we headed up there for a few days and enjoyed it without so many people around.

Ivani said...

I loved traveling through your photos.
You found beautiful fabrics, too bad there was no blue.

Created by Kathi said...

Oh Gretchen how nice to be able to just wander by the Grand Canyon and flagstaff and phoenix then return home after the visit!!! You did! That ice cream place sounds excellent too! I love to absorb vibes when I visit a new to me place too 💕 Kathi

Gretchen Weaver said...

Thanks for the information about the bird. I had no idea and my bird book here at home was no help since it's for birds east of the Mississippi. I see plenty of $12/yard fabric in my area but not $15 yet! At my local fabric store, just 3 miles from my house, the high price is $8.50/yard. I always stop there first when I'm buying.

Chopin - A Passionate Quilter said...

Great picture tour. I miss our annual visit (2 to 3 months) that we used to do. We always stayed in Sierra Vista - I loved the mountains and the cold nights and the nice days. I am so glad that I have the stash I have, never will need to purchase any fabric EVER. Good that you found some pretty fabric in the “sale” table. Glad that you had such a wonderful time with your daughter. Hugs

Gretchen Weaver said...

It wasn't that hard for me to say no to $15/yard fabric, especially since I have limited space in the suitcase. There was no way I could say no to the $5.99/yard fabric.

Gretchen Weaver said...

My daughter is not a sewist so I try not to overwhelm her with fabrics stores when I visit her. I've never been to Mulqueens but to be honest, I just don't need more fabric! The bottom piece of fabric, the autumn leaf fabric, will be used for a fall quilt border. Thanks for commenting!

Gretchen Weaver said...

Can anyone ever say they've seen all the Grand Canyon? I did meet some quilters later in the week, they told me Odegaard's was the most expensive fabric store in the area. The hot sun felt so good! I was reminded of my dad when he was in his 90's. He liked to sit in the sun and just soak up the rays. Thanks for commenting!

Nancy @ Grace and Peace Quilting said...

Wow, fun photos!!! I've been there once, about 8 years ago. And I do love the wall art!!!

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

Gretchen your photos were amazing.It certainly sounds like you had a wonderful visit and a grand adventure. What a treat to get to see the elk . We camped outside of the Grand Canyon years ago and the elk came through our campsite. Thank you for telling about some of the places you visited while in Flagstaff, I will have to check them out when we return. Happy Wednesday.

Jennifer Fulton Inquiring Quilter said...

What a lovely trip you had! That wall is so beautiful and of course the canyon is magnificent. Hopefully I can go again someday. Like you, I've seen so very little of it. Thanks for sharing on Wednesday Wait Loss.

For the love of geese said...

Ive never been on the ground but flying over the canyon is spectacular. Love your fabric pull. Thank you for linking up to Put your foot down.

pbrenner said...

I split my time between Texas (for my job) and southern Arizona (where my husband works). It looks like you had a lovely trip. If you go back, I highly recommend visiting Walnut Canyon (a few miles west of Flagstaff). It's quite different from the Grand Canyon, but beautiful in its own right - and has ancient cliff dwellings. It is amazing to think that people lived in them, and how they could get up and down the canyon walls! With regards to fabric prices, I'm very new to making quilt tops (I finished my first one late last fall) but I've been collecting quilt fabric for almost 20 years. As prices go ever higher, I will definitely be using up my stash.